• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Canon HG10 (AVCHD) to movie file

Reaction score
I brought the clip into Imovie no problem, and am trying to figure out some settings for nice quality while not creating massive movie files. I made a nice clip using H.264 but for one minute it came out to about 200 or more MB. What screen size are common (pixels by pixels), keyframe rates, codecs (MPEG 4 seems kinda blocky), where do you set the quality slider, etc.

Also, any good user guides to help figure this stuff out?

Thanks,
Jesse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
I would start with DVCProHD, it is a really effecient codec, but it really depends on what your final goal is for it. Are you creating a DVD? A QuickTime? And as far as frame size... I don't really know much about AVCHD. Your two main frame sizes for HD footage is 1920X1080 and 1280X720.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
Re Canon HG10 files

Hi Jesse, I hope this thread is not too old and that you pick it up! I have the same video camera Canon HG10 and up until recently had not really been to concerned about what to do when I need to download files and then burn then to DVD. Well, the hard Drive is now full and I have to think about it. I have trawled all over the internet and am now at a loss as to how to convert MTS files, to MOV files and then to the same High quality video that I can burn onto DVD and play back on the dvd recorder whenever I want to, relieving the hardrive of lots of memory. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what you do?
Kind regards,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to plug it into your mac and use iMovie to bring them into your system. Does the camera have a USB or FireWire port on it anywhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi thanks so much for getting back to me. It has been doing my head in trying to understand this whole process. I understand the limitations of iMovie8 now and, after playing with it, can see that the 960 x 540 file dimensions that it generates are simply the best it can do. The Canon produces 1440 x 1080 files and the drop off in quality is noticeable. What I need to know is where or how I can generate files that are of the same quality that can be burned to DVD and played on other media such as a TV. I now have a full hard drive on the camera and am desperate to figure this out so as to be able to take all the film off the camera and burn it to DVD. So in summary: The Canon HG10 generates MTS files. These are converted into .MOV files in iMovie8. DVDs will not support this file type to play on TVs etc so i need to find a way of converting these .MOV files to a dvd compatible type. What is your experience, Can you give any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try downloading mpeg streamclip you can find it here. I'm not sure if it converts MTS but you might find that it does. (Its FREE) The other consideration is that unless you have an HD DVD or BluRay burner the highest resolution you can output on DVD is 720X576. I'm assuming that since you're in the UK you are on a PAL system. So that puts you smaller than 960X540 anyway.

What is the ultimate end goal here? Is it to archive High Quality video or is it to be able to watch on your TV/DVD player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took your advice and tried mpeg streamclip. The file generated by the best setting mp4 at 1440x1080 is a 530mb file which is approx half the size of the original. The quality is visibly better but there is still alot of fall off in poor light and also fragmenting and rippling of the footage when the camera is moved around. So it is certainly an improvement but not enough. Ultimately, I would like to archive high quality footage from which I can then take footage as and when I want, when I get the chance to start editing and getting creative. I come from a Picture Library working background and have always had hard copy aswell as hardrive backup as a fallback. I guess I am seeing iMovie's limitations, and having read the review of iMovie8 on the Macuser website, I understand a bit more. Using a HD DVD burner was going to be my next port of call. Are you familiar with Final Cut Express 4.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am familiar with Final Cut Pro. Express is just a step down from that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I open a .mov file in FCP or express and then export it as a high quality DVD friendly fie?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.