Automounting Network Shares on Login

Reaction score
I am having an issue that I have been unable to resolve. I am fairly new to Macs so my knowledge with them is limited. I am a computer technician at a school corporation that recently purchased three iMac's with OS X 10.5.2 to be used as a video editing lab. We are primarily a Windows facility using Active Directory. Each student has their own network share used to store files, and the share is mapped by a batch file that is executed when they log in. The location of the folders are //servername/folder/studentname.

This brings me to the issue that I am having. I cannot get the iMac's to mount the network share when a student logs in. I have tried creating a startup script that I found through google that does mount volume "smb://servername/folder/$1" but this will allow the student to view the entire server instead of only their personal folder. I have tried creating a login hook by executing in a terminal sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /path/to/script but I'm not exactly sure if this is working properly. I have read that it is possible to accomplish what I am trying to do, but everywhere I look seems to have a different answer that works with older versions of OS X but does not work when I try it.

I also have a question regarding the dock. Is it possible to modify the dock for all users? I would like to add an icon to the dock and have it be the default for all users, but I have no idea how or if this can be done. If it's not possible, could I have a folder open on Login that would contain the icons I want all users to see?

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated. I hope it is clear what I am trying to accomplish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's easier to go into System Preferences > Accounts > select the account you want this to auto mount on > Login Items > then click on the plus and browse to the network share you want to auto mount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.