Downloading and Saving Documents in OSX

Reaction score
I chose OS 10.0 as the prefix, but I'm pretty sure this applies to any Mac OS.

There are a couple things with my iBook that have been frustrating me for years. The first is that I cannot save into a subfolder when I'm saving a Word document, for example. I can only save into "Mac HD" or "Desktop" etc. Can anyone tell me how to save into subfolders within these larger umbrella folders?

Second, whenever I download a pdf, for example, off of Firefox, it downloads to the desktop even though I have the Firefox Preferences to download it to my Temp folder. How do I overcome this? It is taking precious time and effort every now and again to clear off my desktop.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I chose OS 10.0 as the prefix, but I'm pretty sure this applies to any Mac OS.

There are a couple things with my iBook that have been frustrating me for years. The first is that I cannot save into a subfolder when I'm saving a Word document, for example. I can only save into "Mac HD" or "Desktop" etc. Can anyone tell me how to save into subfolders within these larger umbrella folders?

On a UNIX-like system (OS X, Linux, etc), each user has his or her own "Home" folder. This is the place to create folders for saving things like documents or downloads. If you're using Leopard, you'll notice that when you click on the "Home" icon in the Side Bar of a Finder window, you'll see folders already built out for your Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc. Open the Documents folder and you can create subfolders to organize your documents to your heart's content. Should you ever need to browse through the file system to save a document, this folder is located in Macintosh HD => Users => <your username> => Documents.

Second, whenever I download a pdf, for example, off of Firefox, it downloads to the desktop even though I have the Firefox Preferences to download it to my Temp folder. How do I overcome this? It is taking precious time and effort every now and again to clear off my desktop.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

Chances are this is because you're choosing to "open" the PDF instead of "save" it. When that happens, Firefox defaults to saving it on the desktop as a temporary workspace to allow your PDF viewer to access it. I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe there is a way to change this behavior.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.