G5 Power Source Issue?

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I have a Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, running OS X 10.4.11 and recently have been experiencing some strange activity with my battery backup/surge protector box.

For a few days now, any time the G5 does any (even light) processing of anything, the battery backup beeps and squeals saying that it is overloaded. I've tested 2 different battery backs (made by APC, not sure of the model) and have gotten the same results. I'm pretty sure it's not the APC device.

In the past, I've had the motherboard replaced on this machine, and it has the infamous G5 constantly-running-fan "issue" every few months or so. I'm wondering if this could be a power source issue? Perhaps the machine is putting out too much juice?

I know this is kind of vague since it could be the electricity in the building, or any of a number of things, but if anyone has had this same, or a similar problem I'd appreciate you chiming in.

Thanks all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.