USB Serial Port - driver needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
I am trying to add a serial port to my MBP (10.5.4)

I have bought a USB / Serial cable from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00077DJIQ

Cable came with a small CD (I think the form factor was mini DV) which is not something I have a drive for.

Installation doc referenced a driver file: PL2303_1.1.1r2.dmg which was evidently on the disk.

I checked the manufacturer's website: http://www.abcproducts.co.uk/ and no sign of any 'support / downloads' link or the driver

I have googled for the driver and there are some hits but cannot find a direct link to a download site

Ideas appreciated ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Email/call them and ask for a normal sized disk? Or get a friend with a tray loading drive to copy the files and send them to you or put them on a USB stick/external/whatever.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
Email/call them and ask for a normal sized disk? Or get a friend with a tray loading drive to copy the files and send them to you or put them on a USB stick/external/whatever.

Yes have done that via Amazon contact supplier link....I am just being impatient as it is a public holiday today in UK and I was hoping to find a short cut

You are saying that a tray loading CD would read the small disk.....interesting....had not thought of that but sadly neither my MBP or iMac has such a drive

Thanks anyway !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Yeah, gotta hate bank holidays! Got loads of things I need to do that now have to wait until tomorrow...

Tray loading drive should be fine with it, but if you put it in a slot drive it's not going to come out again.

Unless you happen to live in Leicester I can't think of anything else that can fix this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have found the drivers on the Maplin site

But it is just an extension module for OS 9

THere are no OS X drivers for that product I am afraid

http://www.redstore.com/OEMCTL036

But if that disk says there is a dmg file on there, try it out just in case, try and find someone with tray loading drive

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
I have found the drivers on the Maplin site

But it is just an extension module for OS 9

THere are no OS X drivers for that product I am afraid

http://www.redstore.com/OEMCTL036

But if that disk says there is a dmg file on there, try it out just in case, try and find someone with tray loading drive

Driver located and problem solved - thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
where did you find it?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
where did you find it?

Right so I knew someone would ask...I went into my local Apple store hoping they would have a tray drive...no luck. While there we googled for the driver and found a copy....it was on a GPS site bizarrely and I think they were called Zenith...fact is I copied it to a FW drive I was carrying and now I cannot find it on Google any longer....sorry !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.