My G3 300mhz - Apple Profiler kept quitting!

P

powercat

Hi

I wonder if any of you knowing what the problem I'm having. Every time I launch apple profiler and looking up system details with "more info" button and it kept quitting every time I launch it!! The rest other of applications going okay with no problems and no freezes or crashing. I'm using Panther OSX.

On my machine that I received, it has 3 different 128mb ram which total 384mb. One has viking symbol -SDRAM PC133 SDRAM, One got no name - SDRAM PC100, one has Apple logo label on it - SDRAM PC100. I had quite had difficulty adding a real apple logo 256mb PC100 SDRAM from Beige G3 on this alone but it get erratic behaviour like some apps quit and get a message like Please restart, hold down the power button few seconds....and whatever it is. I cannot add extra memory like Hyundai 32mb PC100 SDRAM.

Any suggestions?

Regards

AussieDownUnder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried launching system profiler from the utilities folder? also, try repairing permissions.

OP
P

powercat

I have tried launching System profiler from Utilities and still it quit.

I know the pc shop down the road and they sell OEM 256 PC133 SDRAM and they wouldn't be compatible for G3 B & W Tower?

I will have to run repair permission.

Regards

AussieDownUnder

OP
P

powercat

I repaired the repair permission and try again launch system profiler and it unexpectedly quit error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you restart after repairing permissions? you may have to reinstall system profiler.
if you have the discs to install panther, you can use pacifist to extract the .pkg file that installs apple system profiler, and reinstall it. or do an archive and install to install the os again leaving all your apps, settings, etc the same.

OP
P

powercat

I had restart computer for sure and try again with no success with system profiler while other applications doing perfectly.

How can I use pacifist to extract .pkg file that install apple system profiler and reinstall it?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, downoad pacifist from versiontracker.com, insert install disc 1 of panther, open pacifist and click 'open mac os x install packages', itll read from disc 1, then itll ask for disc 2, then disc 3, then disc 1 again, have them all handy, when its done reading all packages, itll give a list of stuff, I think under the essential applications drop down arrow will be apple system profiler somewhere, or it might just be called system profiler, when you find it, click it and click extract to on the top, save it to your hd, when its done, quit pacifist, ehect the disc, open the file you extracted and follow installation instructions.

OP
P

powercat

Hi

I downloaded the pacifist from versiontracker and that handy. But after I found system profiler and extracted to hard drive to replace it. I launched again but stilly ol thing kept unexpectedly quit after I click About Mac and click "more info" and that where it quit. Very very weird!!! Sound like I can't do anything bur reinstall the whole OSX again from scratch. :-(

OP
P

powercat

Hi

I took out that PC133 128mb out and leaving all PC100 altogether. One 256mb ram from biege G3 into first slot before others. It going ok.

But still annoying system profiler still quit. I went to apple menu and click "About the mac" the "system update: button is fine but not when I click "more info" button and that the trouble that causing to quit.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you installed any new hardware or software recently? or send me your email via pm and Ill email you my system profiler app and see if that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.