Hooking up a subwoofer and speakers to a mac

Reaction score
Ive looked everyone for someone to awnser this but so far ive found nothing. I have an RCA dvd player and an RCA subwoofer.
I wanna hook up my subwoofer and speakers to my mac computer but ive yet to find out how.
Is there anything i have to buy and if so how much would it cost?

The jacks in the back of the dvd player are these.
1.Optical out
2.Monitor out
3.S-Video out
4.Stereo audio out
5.Aux 2. VCR
6.Sub woofer jack

The jacks on the subwoofer are these.
1.Subwoofer Jack
2.2 Red and black wire connection (how you put cut wire in)

My mac jacks i dont really know about but its just the monitor and for all of you who have a mac you know the jacks in the back.

I would REALLY REALLY like someone to help me with this!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD 867, 2GB, ATI 9800 Pro, 10.5.x
This is the easiest way. Buy an RCA stereo y-cord and link it from the headphones jack on your computer to the aux input on your dvd player. If your dvd player isn't acting as a receiver you'll have to buy a separate piece.

If you want more control with gain and hardware equalizing, buy an audio interface or audio card. I'm sure someone can go into more detail with that.

OP
T
Reaction score
How much you think this will cost me?

If you hooked it up to the headphone jack using the y cord would it run the subwoofer and the speakers that are hooked up to the subwoofer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I have a subwoofer connected to my mac.

I have a stereo receiver that has a audio output on it (Red and White L/R channels) and I connected it to my mac through the headphone jack. I put the subwoofer input on the same as the Speakers Plug in on the stereo Receiver. Works great and I can get some pretty crazy bass from it. Im not sure if its more than 65 watts but its great!

OP
T
Reaction score
The bass speaker plug i have is really weird though, this is it. It hooks into the dvd player. I dont know if this will effect hooking it up though.

Photo24.jpg

This is my bass its 190 watts

Photo20.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it came with the DVD player then the player must have receiver capabilities. I've been out of the audio loop for a while, so I'm not sure how they're packaging and designing combo deals anymore. You might have to invest into a pair of external speakers for the mids and highs. Snap a picture of the dvd player's butt.

or shoot me the model and i'll google it

OP
T
Reaction score
Heres the back of the DVD player.

Photo25.jpg

Im not totally sure but i think this is the model number.

Model RS2030

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. It's a home theater so you shouldn't have any problems. All you need is a male to RCA (send) cable. You'll probably have to buy an adapter for the male end so it fits in your headphone jack. Shouldn't be more than $15 total for a 9ft wire and the adapter. Check out guitar center or one of the big music stores and they'll tell you exactly what you need.

or radio shack ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Yea ^^ that should do the job!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.