Question on buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gr00gymanat6

Hey, I am just wondering how dependable an ibook would be, by means of problems with the OS and workmenship, cd-rom drive, ports, etc. because If I am too buy and $1,350 which is about as much as I can afford, I am wondering how necesary the warrenty package is, which is another $250. Anyone who has (and I am sure there are plenty here) owned a fairly new ibook 600mzh and up, just let me know how they run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Gr00gymanat6 said:
Hey, I am just wondering how dependable an ibook would be, by means of problems with the OS and workmenship, cd-rom drive, ports, etc. because If I am too buy and $1,350 which is about as much as I can afford, I am wondering how necesary the warrenty package is, which is another $250. Anyone who has (and I am sure there are plenty here) owned a fairly new ibook 600mzh and up, just let me know how they run.

My understanding and personal experience is that iBooks are quite dependable. That being said, I'll probably purchase AppleCare right before my warranty expires, unless I decide to purchase a new Mac instead :D .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Well, I've had a 14" ibook for about 4 weeks, and have had no problems with it so far. Although 4 weeks isn't very long...

However, I do hear that they are very sturdy. Rubber insulating and all that. The OS is extremely stable... very, very rarely do any applications manage to crash it.

OP
S

Sirjammer69

I havent even recieved my ibook yet but based on the amount of people selling there powerbooks because the hinges fall apart or the inner case comes loose or heat or broken this or that it sounds like the "cheap feeling" ibook is the winner for quality :moneymout

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Glad you are happy with your decision. I have one of the original Ti G4 Powerbooks. I don't have any of the problems that you are stating. As you know, the individual that have the problem will all post their complains. Whereas those that are not have problems you don't hear from. Since I have both iBook and a G4 Powerbook, I can say both are good products.

I purchased the iBook for my wife while she was in school, it service very well for all of her needs.

I purchased the Powerbook to run Final Cut Pro and Quickbooks. I have not had any problem with either laptops. :)

Once the iBook is a very good product and it should suit your needs. Congrats. :)

P.S. The Powerbook does get very warm, so I wear pant when it is in my lap. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I don't have any of those problems with my Ti book either.. although like rman mine also gets quite warm. and have a special lapdesk to use with it.. plus Im not sure I want to hurt my future children with the radiation coming off of a laptop :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well I dropped my iBook off my desk at work and it's still working just fine so it wins the sturdiness award from me :D

OP
J

jcromartie

If you're a student, go to store.apple.com and click the education link. Applecare for an iBook is only $183 with the educational discount. As far as wether or not it's worth it? I haven't had a laptop (PC or Mac) that has been problem free. There is a certain degree of risk that comes with cramming a computer into a tiny little poorly-ventilated box! The Applecare warranty takes the machine to the end of it's theoretical life cycle (when you'll be ready for a new portable), and it cover SO MUCH more than you think. I have actually had a hard drive and logic board replaced. Don't tell anyone, but it was probably my fault :innocent: They fixed it anyway, though!

Reaction score
iBook

Gr00gymanat6 said:
I had a 800mhz iBook for two and a half years. No problems whatsoever. Ran like a dream. I did get some extra ram though. The quality of the actual product is great too. You just need to wipe the keys from time to time. Stick with G4- Intel sucks !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey, this thread is very old (2003), so I think we can safely assume he has answered his own question by now :)

You'll want to be careful when using the search function, it will dig up a lot of old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.