Parental Control Help

Reaction score
OK Parents, I have a daughter that wants to use Miley World's Chat room on mileyworld.com. I've got Parental Control locking her internet usage down to only specified sites. I can get to the Miley World page but when launching the chatroom the page crashes with a server can not be found message.

Any Ideas?

Jason

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might be something on your end, ISP perhaps? Or maybe your parental controls are blocking the chat room? I just tried it and it worked for me (not that I would want to join) :D

I'm using Verizon FIOS here in the Fort Worth area. No parental controls.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm in Plano and too have Verizon FIOS. I can't hit it from any Mac computer I own but I can hit it through a M$ PC. I'm stumped at this point.

Jason

OP
J
Reaction score
Still nothing back from their support department, which is a bit irritating being that I paid for this services and it's not some freebie out there.

CHSCAG, did you actually click on the CHAT icon and were able to get into the CHAT area? It seems everything on the site works with the exception of the chat rooms. I've read that it requires JAVA but I don't seem to have any other JAVA type issues on any other sites so I don't think that's it.

Jason

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
CHSCAG, did you actually click on the CHAT icon and were able to get into the CHAT area? It seems everything on the site works with the exception of the chat rooms. I've read that it requires JAVA but I don't seem to have any other JAVA type issues on any other sites so I don't think that's it. Jason

I just verified getting into the CHAT areas and the actual CHAT rooms which are available. I also don't believe it's a JAVA issue otherwise it would show up when trying to access other sites.

The only other thing I can think of since we're both using Verizon FIOS is how they're resolving DNS addresses in your locale. I had a lot of difficulty with DNS addresses here in my area which only seemed to effect my Mac. Both of my Win PCs were OK. Verizon tech support was absolutely no help when it came to the Mac. (Not surprising.)

After a week or so of slow browsing and not being able to access some sites at all, I did some net research and came up with a solution. I switched away from using Verizon's DNS addressing and instead use OpenDNS. Now everything works fine.

When Verizon first brought FIOS on line here in my area everything worked well, but as they began to expand and add service areas is when things began to slow down. Why the DNS addressing they use only impacts on my Mac and not my PCs is still a mystery to me.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try OpenDNS and see if that helps. The things we do for our kids....

Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.