iWork or Office Home and Student?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
I can't decide on which one. I know iWork is cheaper, but I here it's worse. I've also heard Excel is unuseable. Opinions?

And please try not be be biased toward iWork.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I have both...

iWork I just had to get used to after using office since I first used a computer. I prefer Numbers to Excel, but mostly because of the layout and tables, etc, though I hear it hasn't got all the functions of excel (I haven't found anything I needed wasn't there yet but I don't do anything complicated). Pages... just isn't the same as Word, but I use it more because it seems to run better (and my MS Work documents currently have a PC virus which I keep sending to people!). Keynote I've never used, and I've used Powerpoint about twice... so no grounds for comparison there.

Just thought - I'm using Office 2004. I tried 2008 on a PC and absolutely hated it, don't know how different it is on Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your input. I'm still confused though, did you prefer Pages or Word?

And also, can iWork read documents from Word 03/04 because my school still has those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I prefer Word really. I know iWork can read from Mac Word 2004, cos I switch between the two, not sure about PCs but I image it would.

A lot of this stuff depends on how much you use it and what for.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll mostly be using Pages/Word to take notes in school or look at word documents on the teachers websites which I will need to download and view. Well, if pages works with word 03/04 then I think that's it then since it's cheaper and doesn't have word compatibility problems.

I'm sure Numbers and Keynote are fine too. I don't think Keynote will be used too much, but numbers will be used for biology I'm sure.

If anyone else has input please post and thanks, skaheadpunk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having given it some thought, if you're mostly working with PCs and whatnot, it might just be easier to get Office 2004 - which you could probably pick up pretty cheap on ebay or something if budget is an issue.

Didn't you get an iWork trial with you MacBook? Ooops, found one online here. Give it a go, if you don't like it stick with Office :).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I won't be working with PC's at all, I'll bring my laptop to school most days (most high schoolers do). The only place I'll use a PC is the library or computer applications class. Hey, maybe they'll surprise me and use macs. :)

I'll give the Trial a go, and if I really don't like it then it's Office 08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good plan :). Hope you enjoy the new term!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, 250gb hdd
I-work is much better, becasue it looks
so nice, it makes writing an essay, or
making a presentation almost enjoyable.
I-Work 08 IS FULLY Compatible with Ms
Offie files aswell, so no problems there.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just ordered it on Amazon for $62 and free shipping. Will take 5-9 days, not too bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.