Which wireless router should I buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD
I would really love a Time Capsule (the backups would be great), but they are so expensive! Are they really worth it?

Anyway, unless someone can convince me on the Time Capsules, I will be settling for a plain old wireless router. Which brands are the best for the price? Are there any specific recommendations? The cheaper the better!

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I think that Western Digital makes a network drive that you can plug right into the wireless router and you can back up to that. I wouldnt get a time capsule because at one point you might need to remove that hard drive or something like that. They are too pretty to take apart!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I think that Western Digital makes a network drive that you can plug right into the wireless router and you can back up to that. I wouldnt get a time capsule because at one point you might need to remove that hard drive or something like that. They are too pretty to take apart!

Yup, you can get a NAS drive.

Or some routers support a USB external drive - I think AirPort Extreme does (for example), but not Express.

Personally I love my Time Capsule though :). Dunno how I'd convince you to buy one, but I just like that it's so easy to get to my stuff on it, back up to it, and it looks pretty sitting next to the TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally have the D-Link DIR-655. It's much cheaper than the Airport Extreme and works just as well, if not better (it has external antennas and one more Ethernet port). It's also very easy to configure, but has a ton of options if you happen to be a bit more of a power user.

Only downside is that the USB port on the D-Link is essentially useless. You can't plug anything into it, which is a total letdown. So if you need to share a drive across the network, you're pretty much limited to NAS drives. Then again, attaching hard drives via USB is the exception and not the rule amongst wireless routers ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.