Installing Netscape Browser

D

Dabrowski

We just installed OS X over OS 9 and we're trying to get Firefox and Netscape browsers. Firefox didn't work, and when we tried with Netscape, same problem.

The compressed file downloaded, we double-clicked it, and it expanded it to Netscape-MachO.dmg. But when we click that, it can't find the application to run it with, and we're not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PowerMacG4.

Dabrowski

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
dmgs are mounted using disk image mounter and disk copy, disk image mounter is in this folder path:
Macintosh HD>system>Library>core services>disk image mounter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
why are you trying to use firefox or netscape when safari is far superior and already installed?

OP
D

Dabrowski

Macman said:
why are you trying to use firefox or netscape when safari is far superior and already installed?

That's a good question. How do you get to Safari? I couldn't find anything off the bat, and a Sherlock search only found two files in a safari theme folder for Microsoft Office.

OP
D

Dabrowski

Macman said:
dmgs are mounted using disk image mounter and disk copy, disk image mounter is in this folder path:
Macintosh HD>system>Library>core services>disk image mounter.

That may be the problem. I don't have a Disk Image Mounter in that folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
disk image mounter should be there, what os are you runing? safari is in the applications folder, in mac hd, not applications mac os 9, and are you sure you looked in the folder named System with an X on it?

OP
D

Dabrowski

Macman said:
disk image mounter should be there, what os are you runing? safari is in the applications folder, in mac hd, not applications mac os 9, and are you sure you looked in the folder named System with an X on it?

we are using os 10.0.3. we were using 9.2 when we got it. recently switched to using os 10 version. I cannot find the files you were talking about. If you have any other ideas let me know.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
safari was not available before mac os 10.2, are you sure youre in 10.0.3, if so, you probably downloaded the wrong versions of netscape and firefox, actually, I dont think
theres a 10.0.x compatible version of firefox either, and a version of netscape for mac os 10.0.x is gonna be a little tough to find, Id try versiontracker.com if I was you.

OP
D

Dabrowski

Shouldn't the ability to install software (from my understanding, the disk image mounter) be there anyway? Shouldn't I deal with that first? Or does it only appear when the software I want to intall is correct?

Macman said:
safari was not available before mac os 10.2, are you sure youre in 10.0.3, if so, you probably downloaded the wrong versions of netscape and firefox, actually, I dont think
theres a 10.0.x compatible version of firefox either, and a version of netscape for mac os 10.0.x is gonna be a little tough to find, Id try versiontracker.com if I was you.

OP
D

Dabrowski

Is there anyone out there who is using OS 10.0.2 and an alternative to Internet Explorer? If so, let me know what you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should be there, but if its not, did you do an erase and install of os x, or just upgrade install? I think maybe that prior to os 10.2, disk copy was used to ,mount disk images, Ill have to look it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as far as compatible browsers, you might try opera, or go to versiontracker.com and look under browsers and use their pop up bar thing to select a version compatible with your os.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.