Help! preview, ms office, adobe reader not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
Background:
Current specs: Macbook 2.16 2gb memory 250 WD scorpio black

Had a hard drive failure (again) on my macbook. Had a bootable copy of the entire old HD on my USB external, created with carbon copy clone. Used that external until I could get a new hard drive in the macbook, which I did yesterday. Took advantage of the fact that I was there to upgrade to 2gb memory as well.

Installed the new drive, used disk utility to format the drive to mac (journalled), then used Carbon Copy Clone to copy the bootable drive onto the new WD yesterday.

Everything seemed ok but a few hours ago while I was looking at a pdf using acrobat Reader 8.0 that application quit out of the blue. I also noticed that Word and preview were not working correctly.

Preview shows the file or picture in the finder but never actually opens into it;s own window, and requires a force quit to shut down. Word gave me a wierd message, and had a lot of options greyed out. I tried reinstalling Adobe (and upgrading to 9) and it says it can not compete install after I acknoledge the Terms of service and enter my password.

When I boot up using my bootable drive, all is well.
When I created another user (using the internal drive) also everything was fine for that user, and I was able to install Reader 9 for it using the admin name and password (which is my normal user account)

I have tried repairing permissions, but not had much success. I can not find my Leopard discs after back to school cleaning, only Tiger, so a disc based reinstall is not in the cards.

Any suggestions other than carbon copy cloning the Bootable again onto the new internal?
Seems like that would fix whatever got messed up/dropped/lost etc.?

Gotta have it working at 100% by tomorrow afternoon so I can install office 2008 to replace my 04, and so I can have it working for class Monday am.

I hope I have provided sufficient detail. Thank you for any help!

OP
attackeagle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
Recopied the external to the Internal and all is well.
only cost me a day's work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.