Black Shiny Keys And Trackpad :S

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
lol certainly ;P

If you are worried about shininess and finger prints on the keyboard area..just get the Invisible Shield by Zagg full cover, and then buy the keyboard protector as well.

Covers your keyboard so u won't have crumbs and dust under the keyboard, also prevents liquids from leaking into the computer if you happen to spill it on the keyboard.

アップルガイ日本人ですか?

Reaction score
to be honest my white macbook does it too, so I just forgot about it. The black just shows it sooner/easier.

OP
The Apple Guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3G | 13 Inch 2.4 GHZ new MacBook
If you are worried about shininess and finger prints on the keyboard area..just get the Invisible Shield by Zagg full cover, and then buy the keyboard protector as well.

Covers your keyboard so u won't have crumbs and dust under the keyboard, also prevents liquids from leaking into the computer if you happen to spill it on the keyboard.

アップルガイ日本人ですか?

うん 麿 情意 頂戴 厥

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock BlackBook
i have a blackbook and smudges was killing me. Until yesterday when i put my new invisible shield (www.zagg.com). i got the complete set that covers top, bottom, track pad, button, and both sides of the wrist rest. although i took out the track pad cover, cuz whenever i use it, my finger sticks and does not slide. installation level 1 being easiest to 5 being hardest, i would give it a 4.5, but i was a novice. good luck on getting your mac soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
My white MacBook also has a nice shine in its keys and trackpad as well.

But on top of that, the glossy surface of the white macbook exterior also scratches fairly easy - just little light scratches. Oh and over a period of time the keyboard area on my whiteBook also gets a little dirty - I dont really notice the dirt sneaking up on me until I see my friends new MacBook and then I think 'ugh' my MacBook is in desperate need of a good clean :S

Still; I love my MacBook and do use it a lot - so I am not bothered about little scratches and a bit of dirt - as long as I am getting trouble free usage out of it - then I am a happy bunny :)

As a side note; I know they are more expensive, bigger and a bit heavier - BUT the MacBook Pros' look a little more resistant to dirt/smudges - another of my friends has one and it looks pretty good - he probably uses his as much as I use mine and he's had it longer than I have - yet still looks pretty smart.

Hopefully the next MacBooks will also be aluminium :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have a white MacBook. I don't notice any shiny keys but my trackpad is shiny.

There is however nothing to prevent this. Unless you simply don't use your computer. :)

USB mouse? There is also those sticker thingys that can be placed over the trackpad. I saw them at the apple store but the reviews on them sound horrible so meh.

Shiny keyboard problem can be sloved with iskin keyboard protector.

Only good one is zagg full body protection, cover the track pad as well.

Reaction score
I have had my white macbook since it came out. I bought an external mouse when I bought my macbook and never used the trackpad. However, my friend bought a macbook the same day I did but he didn't buy an external mouse, so he uses the trackpad. I saw that his trackpad was shiny when I visited him 5 months after he purchased it. I asked him how he made his trackpad shiny and he said it happened from use. The shiny trackpad made the macbook look more cool that I threw out my external mouse so I will use my trackpad. Within 6 months my trackpad got shiny and my macbook looked just as cool as his. The shine actually gives the macbook some character.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I have a white MacBook. I don't notice any shiny keys but my trackpad is shiny.

There is however nothing to prevent this. Unless you simply don't use your computer. :)

A "shiny" computer is a measure of the depth of your love for your Macbook/Pro. It's a feature that should be displayed with pride.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.