• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does commercial airline companies have wi - fi on the plane ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3G | 13 Inch 2.4 GHZ new MacBook
JW cuz im gonna be doing a lotta travelling soon so i was wondering .
And is there those car jack things on planes like to charge your mac?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Not as of yet, but there are some airlines that are considering it in the near future.

OP
The Apple Guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bah that kinda sucks eh , oh well i hope i get an aircard so it wont matter
What about for charging on the plane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've seen some airlines have power outlets. I was just flying on Continental two weeks ago and there were two sockets under each seat, which I used to charge my iPhone during the flight and listen to music.

As for Internet, I've heard Virgin has it. Not sure which other airlines currently offer it.

OP
The Apple Guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've seen some airlines have power outlets. I was just flying on Continental two weeks ago and there were two sockets under each seat, which I used to charge my iPhone during the flight and listen to music.

Cool thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I dont think that an air card would work.
Air cards get their internet through cellphone service providers right?
In that case, cell towers send their signals out and not up. Average Jet Liners Fly at ~36,000Ft, there is no signal at that altitude im sure

Reaction score
i know .... there are wifi in most of the airports. Some offer access in the entire airport while others may limit access to specified terminal or waiting areas. In addition, many airline club lounges may have their own free access available.

i think right now only American Airlines and Virgin America have in-flight Wi-Fi.

OP
The Apple Guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, cell towers send their signals out and not up. Average Jet Liners Fly at ~36,000Ft, there is no signal at that altitude im sure

LOL DUH i'm an idiot haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
American Airlines is supposed to have it any day now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
They're Line Of Site, not really directional. I've seen peoples cellphones ring while on flights before, not to mention all the cell calls from planes during the 9/11 hijackings. While it would work, the FAA frowns on using receivers let alone transmitters on flights.

OP
The Apple Guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're Line Of Site, not really directional. I've seen peoples cellphones ring while on flights before, not to mention all the cell calls from planes during the 9/11 hijackings. While it would work, the FAA frowns on using receivers let alone transmitters on flights.

Yeah pretty true i guess , doesnt it mess with the planes radios or something , oh well i'll spare my macbooks internet for the safety of the plane haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm not so certain there's much in the modern avionics that it would effect, however, at this point in time when a disagreement with the flight crew can end up with the very real possibility of you wearing metal bracelets.. I'm not so sure I'd even bother for that reason alone ;)

OP
The Apple Guy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hahahah true true

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.