external hard drive for two different macs

Reaction score
I have a Western Digital external hard drive that I use to back up my MacBook Pro at my office, using Time Machine to do so. I now want to use the same external hard drive to back up my iMac at home but when I plug in the USB cable to my iMac, the drive does not mount on my desktop and I get the following message "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OSX can read." I hesitate to click the initialize button at the bottom of the message for fear of wiping the external HD clean of my backed up MacBook files. I run 10.5.2 on my laptop and 10.3.9 on my iMac. Suggestions to get it recognized on my iMac? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Pretty sure you'll need to format the drive into two drives and run time machine at the office on drive a and time machine at home on drive b.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Sounds like Apple has done something new with the formatting since 10.3.9. Otherwise it would at least recognize the drive. In either case, I think y-guy has the answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.