Itunes freezing up and other questions

Reaction score
Just got my new MacBook Pro yesterday. Let me first say I have already fallen in love with it. I'm an instant convert.

I tried several times to import songs I have on an external hard drive (via usb) by just dragging the entire folder into itunes. I do have a lot of songs - over 9,000 but didn't think it would be an issue. Anyway, each time it would import the first 2,500 or so of the songs and then I would get the beachball and everything would freeze. I have several different questions.

1) Why would my laptop freeze up? Was it too many songs to try to import at once? The external hard drive I have is a Western Digital "My Passport" 320 GB. Even though you can use it with both pcs and Macs, A fellow Mac friend of mine suggested that maybe since I first used the hard drive with a PC that my Mac isn't communicating well with it. Any truth to that?

2) Unfortunately, I didn't know at the time what to do when itunes froze up. I knew that control/alt/delete works on pcs but it wasn't working on the Mac (I have since learned how.) So the few times my Mac froze up I just held the power button down to shut it off because I didn't know what else to do. Was this a terrible thing to do? Did I damage my brand new laptop in any way?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.