Mac OS 8.6 help

O

ogden2k

I have an imac 266 w/ tray-loading cdrom using os8.6. The mac stopped noticing the cdrom. any disc i put in the drive would not work. fortunately, I have an external qps que cdrw. i noticed that high sierra file access extension was missing, so I thought I would reload it from my 8.5 system disk (which i should have used my 8.6 update instead...oops) using the external drive. i restarted my computer, it gives me the happy mac, my startup screen, chomps on the hard drive for a few seconds, and then i get the error -

"Sorry a system error occurred.
unimplemented trap
To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key."

Well, this dosn't work. neither does holding down the space bar or the C key (since my internal cd drive is shot). The only key combo that worked was the one to reset my PRAM. Which did not change the error message. any ideas?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When you held down the shift key on start up, did you see the extension off line? If not hold down the shift key until the system boots.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.