i seriously need help, please!!!

?

)(*

my dads hard drive in his pc just failed, i know this because i took the drive out and it clicks when i shake it.

Is there any way to save the data on there?

OP
D

Desolate One

Ouch, that's serious if you have broken parts in the drive. The only option is contacting one of those data recovery companies you see adverts for in the back of PC rags. It may be expensive but if the data is that important the cost is justified.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
& Shaking might not have helped. If something gets loose and scratches the HDD it makes things worse.

Reaction score
There are places you can take it that can do recovery, very expensive and not quaranteed to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
too bad he doesnt have a mac, target disk mode might have worked, or virtual lab may help even now if you had the pc version.

Reaction score
If the hard drive is broken to the point that there is something rattling around in it, I really doubt that any software application could do anything for him.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If the data on the drive is very important to you and you have the money, then Drive Savers will do the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If you are a terrorist the FBI will look at it for free :bomb:

Reaction score
That;s awsome how they can recover stuff form a broken hard dive. It would be fun to see how it works.

Anyways... Can you put you drive in another computer and see if the data shows up on it as a second HD? Or is it physically broken? I don't know what the rattling inside means...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
shaun89 said:
That;s awsome how they can recover stuff form a broken hard dive. It would be fun to see how it works.

I believe they remove the disk platter, in order to get the data off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.