HELP-MacBook Pro Shutsdown when gaming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
I have a first generation macbook pro 2.16 Core Duo with 2GB RAM and 256MB X1600 graphics. I have just recently got it back from repair because the hard drive had failed. They replaced the Hard drive and I got a new battery as the old one wouldn't hold a charge. Also I had problem that it would shutdown randomly if anything graphics intensive such as gaming or even a particularly large render was going on. This was a real annoyance. After getting the laptop back from repair I upgraded to leopard and thought I would try out a game, 15 minutes in it randomly restarts. This is so annoying even though I asked the repair technician to check this out but its still occuring. Does anyone know the reason why this happens so I can get it sorted once and for all. I've heard explainations on the net like it can be related to thermal paste or a wire has melted and shorted out. I just want to know. If anyone can help I would be grateful. I need to get this sorted as soon as possible as I return to University in a couple of weeks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like it's heat related. Install the iStatPro widget or maybe even smcFanControl to keep watch on CPU temperatures. smcFanControl can also help to keep the CPU cooler by speeding up the exhaust fans in your MBP.

Any overheating of the CPU will cause the machine to shut down or randomly reboot in order to prevent damage. There can be other reasons for random reboots but yours does appear to be heat related.

Regards.

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
It does sound like it's heat related. Install the iStatPro widget or maybe even smcFanControl to keep watch on CPU temperatures. smcFanControl can also help to keep the CPU cooler by speeding up the exhaust fans in your MBP.

Any overheating of the CPU will cause the machine to shut down or randomly reboot in order to prevent damage. There can be other reasons for random reboots but yours does appear to be heat related.

Regards.

Hi, I have tried fan control and have monitored the temps with iStat. The CPU and GPU are really hot. Even with fan control on the highest setting still the laptop randomly restarts/shutsdown.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.