Hot Powerbook G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini g4 1.5ghz, powerbook g4 1.5ghz aluminum, iphone 8gig, ipod 30 and 4 gig
I have a Powerbook G4 and after about 30min or so it gets really hot in the back of the machine...is there a way to cool it off or should i not worry about it.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Get a cooling pad, and keep it off of your legs as much as possible. I remember my powerbook leaving my legs quite red after using it for a couple of hours.:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 2.2 Ghz Santa Rosa
may i know your powerbook spec ?? but as i know the powerbook series has a lot of power , thats why if you using your powerbook in a long time , your powerbook will be too hot....specially in the palm rest....because a casing of powerbook is made of alumunium , defferent with iBook or macbook....i think don't worry about that....it's a normal.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I have a Powerbook G4 and after about 30min or so it gets really hot in the back of the machine...is there a way to cool it off or should i not worry about it.
Is it burning a part of your body or are you just concerned that the computer might fry itself? If it's the latter then don't worry about it unless you are blocking the vent areas or if your fans are not working. Your computer can handle more heat than a human can. If the heat is causing discomfort then get a cooling pad, use a fan control application to blast the fans, or do both.

One of the things I like about the new MBPs is that it runs a lot cooler than my old PowerBook Titanium. The only time it gets really hot is when I play games but even then it's not as hot as my PowerBook at it's hottest. It seems that Apple thought about the heat comfort when they created the new notebooks.

Reaction score
may i know your powerbook spec ?? but as i know the powerbook series has a lot of power , thats why if you using your powerbook in a long time , your powerbook will be too hot....specially in the palm rest....because a casing of powerbook is made of alumunium , defferent with iBook or macbook....i think don't worry about that....it's a normal.....

The original line of Powerbook g4's were mainly comprised of Titanium not aluminum, those came after and ran for a short time.

Is it a ti-book or aluminum?

Either way try a cooling pad for it to rest on, or consider a replacement display as they are fairly cheap these days depending on your model.

I used to let my titanium powerbook run for weeks at a time and it never really got as hot as you describe, but they are an older notebook and the displays and logic boards run the risk of overheating these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.