How to upload music Files in Dreamweaver

V

vinman

Hello,

Im new here and am seeking help in the area of uploading music files to my band's website.

I have an eMac (w/OS X, 10.1) as well as Macromedia MX 4. If there's any body out there that would care to take the time in explaining to me how to upload music files via Dreamweaver, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Questions:
* Do I have to convert songs to mp3 or aiff files for download? I want browsers to click on the song title and be able to hear song and download to desktop.

* Is this process done in Dreamweaver, Flash, or any other Macromedia program?

I don't have the finances to pay a webmaster and find it silly to have to do that when I have the tools at my disposal. I just lack the knowledge.

Thanks in advance and please feel free to send a private message with instructions

Vinman

OP
V

vtupser

If you want your visitors to be able to listen to the music, I suggest creating QuickTime movie file (you need QuickTime Pro do to do this, but only $30 and worth every penny) that contains the mp3 file (don't use aiff as it is an uncompressed version of the music file thus giving a much larger file size). Once this is done, upload that file to whichever folder you want then link directly to that file. The browser will then automatically go to that file and present a quicktime movie file embedded in the browser in a new window or what ever target you choose.

If you want them to download the straight mp3 file to their hard drive for their use, you can just upload the straight mp3 file to your server and link directly to that file. When they click the link, it will ask them to dl it.

Another option is to make a streaming Flash mp3 player if you are good with Flash. You can see the one I made (first time trying it) at tp://www.awinterbreak.com/media.php (outdated link removed) You may want to do this if you don't want people to steal the music. It makes it harder to find the actual mp3 files on the server for people to take them, although it can still be done with some work.

Hope this helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
vtupser said:
If you want your visitors to be able to listen to the music, I suggest creating QuickTime movie file (you need QuickTime Pro do to do this, but only $30 and worth every penny) that contains the mp3 file (don't use aiff as it is an uncompressed version of the music file thus giving a much larger file size). Once this is done, upload that file to whichever folder you want then link directly to that file. The browser will then automatically go to that file and present a quicktime movie file embedded in the browser in a new window or what ever target you choose.

If you want them to download the straight mp3 file to their hard drive for their use, you can just upload the straight mp3 file to your server and link directly to that file. When they click the link, it will ask them to dl it.

Another option is to make a streaming Flash mp3 player if you are good with Flash. You can see the one I made (first time trying it) at tp://www.awinterbreak.com/media.php (outdated link removed) You may want to do this if you dont want people to steal the music. It makes it harder to find the actual mp3 files on the server for people to take them, although it can still be done with some work.

Hope this helped.
thats a very nice music player, though anyone could easily use audio hijack or wiretap and just copy the music *** it plays. also, as a graphic designer/webdesigner/multimedia editor and author, I can tell you its NEVER a good idea to have music on a site unless its
A. less than 30 seconds, or
B. able to be turned on or off by the person visiting the site.

OP
V

vtupser

I agree, having background music is annoying on a website unless you can turn it off, but a band's website to include a selection of their songs is perfectly legit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.