• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Codec Chaos

Reaction score
ok, heres my problem, i downloaded an avi from the internet, when i tried to play it, it said i didnt had the right codec. Because of that i (stupidly) downloaded one of those "all codecs pack" and installed them (plus i messed up with the 'Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime' and the 'Library/Quicktime' folders, so at the end i didnt knew which files went into wich folder). The thing is that i ended up finally playing the movies, but now quicktime is reeeally slow, takes like 2 minutes to load a movie and freezes mi Finder when it loads the preview of the movie.

Thats why I decided to start from scratch again, i want to delete all the codecs, reinstall quicktime and make it work normally again. the thing is, I dont know which are the "default codecs" that come with Leopard or if by deleting all the codecs i have (from both of the previously mentioned folders, Right now i have all of the same codecs in both folders) i will screw up my computer or something.

Which codecs should i keep and wich should i delete, can i delete all of them without problems, or what could i do? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can delete the lot, they are all extra codecs, in addition to the core Quicklime components

The core components are in Harddisk > System > Library > Quicktime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
I would recomend not uninstalling QuickTime, my friend tryed that. Don't do it. The problem is that QuickTime is so integrated with the os it is really hard to get it all off (even with AppZapper) and... Yeah, bad idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
Try updating quicktime, or re-installing (but don't actually try to remove the app manually). Then install a free codec pack called Perian (it is just a preference pane panel- it wont mess up your codecs or libraries or anything, I promise!).

This is what I use, and it has just about everything, except windows media format (for that you need Flip4Mac, which is also free).

Or, you could just get VLC player, which plays every single file format known to man, all in one player. And again, it's free.

Perian http://perian.org/
Flip4Mac Windows Media Quicktime Componentshttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx
VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
updating or reinstalling won't overwrite the plugins folder though. So wouldn't SideshowFreak want to empty that folder, then reinstall?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.