Photography Jobs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
What Kind of businesses would you target for photography?
Our economy is based on small businesses where im from and am looking for some more photography jobs.
Im thinking catering businesses et cetera

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Shooting hawt super models?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Food photography is extremely specialized and actually rather difficult. Don't let that dissuade you though. Got a full studio setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
I have always thought that there may be a market in construction photography. Most small contractors do not have the time or resources to photo document a project's progress using photography. This documentation most likely will not ever be used for anything other than a record of the progress of the job. However, in construction things can go wrong and claims for delays, etc. can be filed against the general contractor. That is when the photos will tell the actual story. I am looking at this as a potential retirement income source.

The up side is that the work will be during the week and will provide a long term, steady income for each project. The down side is that you must make a long term commitment to that customer. My idea is to visit a job site each week on a set day and time and take an array of photos from pre designated locations. The locations will change as the project is moving on, but the date and time remain the same.

If you know a contractor, talk to them about photo documenting one of their projects for free and see if you and them agree on its value. Depending on the size and distance from you shop, I would think $100 - $200/week would be in the right range once you start charging for your work. Supply the photos on a DVD for future reference, print them out and put in an album if the customer wants - pricing is up to you. Most smaller jobs, like gas stations, strip malls, etc, are usually in the 8 - 12 week duration, so you will need several going at a time to make this worthwhile.

I am definitely interested in what you find out. Go Blue!

OP
Mjc.americor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Food photography is extremely specialized and actually rather difficult. Don't let that dissuade you though. Got a full studio setup?
Yes, I have a semi full studio. I got a few backgrounds and Lighting,
The usual But I need some other stuff too!

To oleviking,
Wonderful Idea. Our economy is booming with construction and small contractors. A few of my friends dad own some companies so I will talk to them.
Wonderful Idea. I will let you know how that went. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and Please keep them coming

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
If you know a contractor, talk to them about photo documenting one of their projects for free

Please do NOT offer your services for free - that only devalues the photography industry and lets face it if they want it for free it also implys that they do not value what you are doing for them.

NOTHING in life is free, there are always costs to someone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I said ONE of their projects!!! This is a valuable offer to both the contractor and to the photographer - the contractor finds out if they like the service and the photographer finds out if they want to provide such a service - at any price.

Don't you have interns in N Ireland? They are generally unpaid and provide their services to an organization for free in hopes of receiving a paying position in the future based on their performance.

An alternate approach would be to perform this service for 1/2 of one project and at that point sit with the contractor and see if they see value in the product and would be willing to pay for the balance of the job.

When you are trying to promote something new - I think you have to give up a little up front to let the potential customer see what you are providing at no cost - otherwise the answer will usually be NO!

Reaction score
I take it your not in the photography business now. You can get started doing school day photos. Weddings can be profitable (and there will be many when our troops come home) if you set up at Bridal Fairs, but say goodbye to your summer weekends. The Photography business is very competitive and seams to be on a downward trend, thanks to everyone having a digital camera and computer these days. Never stop learning and stay ahead of the competition. Photographers are like garage bands for everyone that makes it big, there are 1000 others that are just as good.

Closed my photography biz last year.
Returning to my passion very soon.

Good Luck,
Tim

OP
Mjc.americor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone.
I have check out the construction jobs and I think that I am headed up to one job site later this week, Pretty happy about this.
Do you know if there is any template invoices or set rates on what to charge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For invoicing I would use quick books, the easiest program around. As to how much to charge, what is your time worth? The overall value of any construction project is public knowledge, the price the contractor is being paid to build the project is stated on the building permit - that information is available at the county or city building and safety department.

Lets say your fee is based on that value and is 1/4 of 1% of the building permit value. A $2,000,000 project would have a fee of $5,000. Based on my construction experience, that project would take about 6 months to complete - so your fee would be about $200/week.

If I were estimating my return on that fee, I would figure about 1 - 1.5 hours to travel to the site, document the progress and return to the office or another site. That weekly time plus 8 hours to organize and print the final report would equal a total 47 hours if the visit was once a week or 86 hours if the visit was twice a week.

Your return would either be $106/hour or $58/hour depending on the frequency of the visits. You alone must decide if that is enough for your time, travel and photography expenses.

When approaching a prospective construction customer, I would quote the fee in price per visit or week rather than a total for the job, keeps the number lower and reduces the sticker shock.

Like I said initially, one small project, either free or performed for a small fee (to cover gas, etc.) will tell you three important things. One, what is your cost/time commitment on the project and two, is this a viable market and three is this worth the work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.