What Apple, where is your QA?!

Reaction score
So I've had a HORRIBLE notebook month thanks to Apple.

Week 1) Purchase a Macbook Air. Insain core shutdown problems, couldn't even play poker and listen to iTunes at the same time because the Poker application I'm using is flash based. Macbook Air returned.

Week 2) Decide to go back to what is tried and true... A Macbook Pro (This is my second, first one was great, but I sold it). Get home with my new Macbook Pro and it's completely warped. I put it on the table and it wobbles and creeks etc - Can't even plug the DVI cable in because the case was so bad. Back to the Apple store for an exchange...

Week 3) I get another Macbook Pro. This one is stable, no issues whatsoever.. Until tonight.... I have this horrible black lines shooting up from the bottom of my screen. Not sure what's causing it, but, appears that parts of the LCD screen are not illuminating... Looks like yet another trip back to the Apple store.

I won't even get started on my iPhone 3G and MobileMe... But, suffice to say, I'm very disappointed in Apples quality lately and their complete lack of accepting responsibility for obvious problems that are affecting various devices.

Now I'm stumped.. I honestly feel like returning my Macbook Pro and just going to buy a PC laptop again. It's a shame as I've been a devoted Apple fan for a few years now and have various Macbooks and iPods (2nd Gen, 3rd Gen, 4th Gen 5th Gen, Classic, Touch) as well as now the 3G iPhone, Apple TV and Airport Extreme/Expresses.

I've really lost my faith in Apple... What should I do :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've really lost my faith in Apple... What should I do :(

Sounds like the majority of your experiences have been positive - it's just that recently, you've gotten more than your fair share of duds. It happens - and not just with Apple.

I'd sit back, take a deep breath and think about your priorities for a computing device. I think Apple still ranks amongst the highest (if not THE highest) in customer satisfaction, so statisically speaking, you're less likely to have a bad experience returning your MacBook Pro for another than you would going with a Vista-powered notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Like CWA said, Apple's overall customer satisfaction is far higher than average in the industry, and even continues to rise at a time when others in the industry are declining. Unfortunately, they can't catch all lemons in advance and someone has to be the unlucky sucker to get them. Yeah, it sucks to be that person, but as a long-term customer, it was bound to happen sooner or later to ya. Honestly... do you REALLY think switching to a Dell and Windows will give you greater satisfaction in the long haul?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...I've really lost my faith in Apple... What should I do :(

I guess that's what you get when things aren't made in America. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4g, 2GB, 200G, 15.4
Hey dont fear too much man I got my replacement after my first MBP was bent at the superdrive bay and my new one that was sent had the black bars on it and all you have to do is a screen refresh which as far as the keys go, im not too sure but it is on the apple site. I installed the updates like it said to and its been fine ever since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, there are lots of places in the world that make great products... Unfortunately, China is not one of them :Angry-Tongue:
China can be, it depends on the QA department (just like American and European products that way). None of the products I have acquired recently that were made in China have had any significant problems, including multiple Apple products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I won't even get started on my iPhone 3G and MobileMe... But, suffice to say, I'm very disappointed in Apples quality lately and their complete lack of accepting responsibility for obvious problems that are affecting various devices.

How can you honestly say this? Apple has openly admitted that their roll out of MobileMe was "less" than stellar. They've even given most (if not all) 3 extra months of service. How is that not accepting responsibility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Just because something isn't made in America, doesn't automatically make it a bad product.

There have been countless bad products made in America too. Ford Pinto perhaps?

Reaction score

Yes, because every country except America sucks.
*rolls eyes*

Actually thinking about it - neither Apple's head of design or head of software are American... guess that means every Apple product by default sucks, eh?
Looks like we'll have to go elsewhere boys...

OP
S
Reaction score
How can you honestly say this? Apple has openly admitted that their roll out of MobileMe was "less" than stellar. They've even given most (if not all) 3 extra months of service. How is that not accepting responsibility?

If you'll notice I said that they arn't taking responsibility for issues they are having on "DEVICES", last time I checked MobileMe wasn't a device. Yes, I agree, they have been upfront with MobileMe because it can be fixed 100% by software, where as I'm afraid Apple doesn't want to admit their misteps with iPhone as it will require a multi million dollar recall to replace physical hardware.

MobileMe is fixable with software.. Issues with the MBP and iPhone and MBA will most likely require a hardware replacement. (CPU on MBA, Screen/Case on MBP, Chipset on iPhone for reception problems)

OP
S
Reaction score
Just because something isn't made in America, doesn't automatically make it a bad product.

There have been countless bad products made in America too. Ford Pinto perhaps?

Couldn't help but notice you're from Edmonton.. I'm from Edmonton too! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder what the MTBF and DOA rates are for these products, I'd be willing to bet they're lower than you'd think if all you did was read Internet forums.

OP
S
Reaction score
I realize a lot of people here are seriously drinking the Apple Kool-Aid, but, fact is, Apple has a lot of hardware issues with their products. I happen to work in the IT industry for a Systems Integrator that does warranty repair on IBM, Toshiba, HP etc laptops and I've asked some of our bench techs.. They told me that Apple has been notoriously bad lately for DOA products. Perhaps they are trying to do too much all at one time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I work in the industry in hardware development. I'd be willing to bet I understand MTBF and DOA rates, as well as warranty cost reductions pretty well. So, you can keep telling me I've drunk the koolaid if you want, but I prefer empirical results to pointless conjecture.

FWIW I can tell you that your assertion about the level of QA that CAN come out of China is completely off base and really rather xenophobic.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Let's keep it cordial folks, OK? No bickering please.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yes, because every country except America sucks.
*rolls eyes*

Actually thinking about it - neither Apple's head of design or head of software are American... guess that means every Apple product by default sucks, eh?
Looks like we'll have to go elsewhere boys...

Wow I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well with you guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4, 2GB DDR,160gb HDD,8600m GT 256
Well, there are lots of places in the world that make great products... Unfortunately, China is not one of them :Angry-Tongue:
i have China made MBP! and my friend have USA made! didn't notice any difference! both build quality is the same and performance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4, 2GB DDR,160gb HDD,8600m GT 256
I realize a lot of people here are seriously drinking the Apple Kool-Aid, but, fact is, Apple has a lot of hardware issues with their products. I happen to work in the IT industry for a Systems Integrator that does warranty repair on IBM, Toshiba, HP etc laptops and I've asked some of our bench techs.. They told me that Apple has been notoriously bad lately for DOA products. Perhaps they are trying to do too much all at one time.

i don't now where you was working but im now working in the Lenovo,Dell,Fujitsu repair service! and i can say that Fujitsu and Dell are most problematical laptops i have ever seen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.