Safari Password Auto Fill Problem

Reaction score
I am trying to fix a problem on my father-in-law's iMac (Mac OS 10.4.11).

Safari (v3.1.2) is not saving any information in the Autofill and User Names and Passwords under Preferences. During a surfing session it does list web sites that I have visited but when I quit out of Safari and relaunch again, the Autofill and User Names and Passwords sections is completely empty.

I notice that my Keychain does not automatically store any password information from Web sites that I have visited. I can manually add new items to the Keychain and it still retains them even when I relaunch the Keychain application.

I am also finding that with the FTP application I am using (Transmit), the information about a particular FTP site is saved but I cannot get the password to be saved. Every time I quit out of Transmit, the password field is blank.

I have ran Repair Permissions from the Mac OS X CD and Safe Boot. Drag com.apple.keychainaccess.plist to the desktop and rebooted. No change.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.