9 pin or 24 pin printers on OSX?

R

ruralguy

Good morning. Are there any of the old 9 pin or 24 pin impact printers (I see a bunch on Ebay) that will run on an iMac 333 with OS 10.2? I print nothing but black. Am using an Epson C82, which goes through color cartridges at a fast rate. Much expense, which I would like to stop. Thanks Hank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You might be able to if you get a parallel to USB adaptor and can find drivers for it.

OP
B

Badger

As Schweb mentions there are adapter cables that can do this but you also need the right drivers. On a long term basis you might be more satisfied by getting one of the low cost Lazer printers that are available now. I switched from an Epson 740 to a Samsung 1710 about 2 years ago. It paid for itself in about 15 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Good point Badger. I've had the HP LaserJet 6L for about 7 years now. Best investment I've ever made!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You could
- Pick up an ImageWriter (indestructible Apple dot matrix printer) on eBay
- Purchase a Keyspan serial adaptor
- and use the CUPS drivers for that printer

If you're printing carbon-copy forms, this might be a practical choice.

If you just want low-cost-per-page printing, though, a LaserJet will give you much higher quality and speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think if you get this adapter scweb mentioned, you can use gimp print to make it work.

OP
R

ruralguy

thanks

Thanks everyone. Just returned home and read the replies. I had totally forgotten about the parallel to USB cable business. Think I will try to find a used laser printer. I appreciate your feedback/advice.

Hank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I say get the adapter, then download gimp print and the printer should work fine.

OP
R

ruralguy

Bought a Brother HL-1440

Thanks for information and direction. I read reviews and compared prices on lasers named in your replies. Looked at prices of older Apple pin printers. Then, I found a long, pretty good review of the less-expensive Brother HL-1440. Bought a new one off Amazon for about $100 including shipping. Upgraded from 10.2 to 10.2.1 (per info at Brother site) and downloaded Brother's OS X driver. Hooked it up, ran a test sheet, then turned on the iMac. I set the Brother as default and it worked perfectly. Have just printed a 38 page document. Toner cartridge is supposed to go 3500 copies, with replacement cost about $35. Wish I had done this a long time ago! Also, wish I had gone to Mac a long time ago! Again, thanks. Hank

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.