iMac 24inch Temps

JJJ

Reaction score
Hi, I think I have overheating issues with my imac's CPU. It runs between 60-80C is this normal? What do others run at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My 17" imac cpu is normally around 40-60 degrees C. I think yours might be a little high. But nothing to be too concerned over. As far as I know the mac computers will shut themselves well before they get into the permanently damaging temperature ranges. Sill I'd keep an eye on those temperatures though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You haven't given us any details.

What CPU?

When is it at 80? When is it at 60C? What is it at when you just turn the machine on and come back 10mins later?

In general, if your machine is overheating you will experience freezes and restarts. If it's not doing anything like that, it's fine.

OP
J

JJJ

Reaction score
More info

Sorry for not enough info. It is a 3.06 CPU/2g ram/500g hard drive. I only use this computer for Internet and Word processing via MS Word. It happens in Word after about 30-60min usage, then the temp goes way up and then the computer becomes slow to respond (typing scrolling through my word docs).

OP
J

JJJ

Reaction score
Normally the machine is at 30-40C before this happens. Then it starts to slow up in Word and the temp goes up exponentially to high 60's and then up to high 70's where I have been shutting it off. I don't think the computer should be slow to move around documents considering it is the top of the line imac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That shouldn't be happening. I use Word all the time and experience no CPU rises in temperature. The next time you open Word and use it, keep the activity monitor up and see what's happening to CPU usage, memory, etc.

There may be something else going on at the same time. Let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this Word 04 or 08?

OP
J

JJJ

Reaction score
It is Word 2004. I just got it back from the mac "tech" (who replaced the motherboard). Now there is no hard drive fan! I have istat so I can monitor my fans! Gow what a nightmare computer. As such, I cannot tell if it is still overheating in Word as I was asked. However, prior to it being "fixed" the activity monitor showed the usage was like close to full...I don't have anything else running though???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
I would give it back and get a new one, no question.

It happens sometimes trust me. I just today had a $33,000 large format printer installed.

The tech ended up saying the main board was blowing the fuses and it needed to be replaced. This is during the first couple hours of the setup/config

What I'm getting at is be it a 2k computer or something even larger.......it happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Word 04 is not Intel native and has to run through an emulator called Rosetta in order for it to function. This is all kept hidden from view, although you'll probably notice slowdowns every now and then as with any program running through an emulator.

This puts a bit of strain on the CPU, which would explain the temperature spikes. Even so, it's nothing to worry about. If your machine was having problems, it would freeze or restart. My machine gets so hot in games that you can't hold your hand on the case for more than a second. It's as happy as larry though.

Upgrading to Office 08 would eliminate the temp issue.

OP
J

JJJ

Reaction score
yah i would

I would love to give it back but they won't take it back until i have three major issues they told me that is mac policy! what a piece of junk this apple is. I still dont think emulator or not it should be doing this crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got it back from the mac "tech" (who replaced the motherboard). Now there is no hard drive fan!

I don't understand. You took it back, they said there was a problem and they replaced the motherboard?

And now you have no hard drive fan?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.