Firefox 3 opens maximized

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 | 6 GB OCZ Platinum | RME HDSP9652
For some reason no matter how I close the app, Firefox 3 opens fully expanded every time. I searched for a preference to change to no avail. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
For some reason no matter how I close the app, Firefox 3 opens fully expanded every time. I searched for a preference to change to no avail. Any ideas?

Umm, by "fully expanded" do you mean it occupies the whole screen area of your monitor?

If so, try this (if you haven't already) ... next time you've finished using FFox, and BEFORE you quit it, resize the window to what you want, and in the screen position you want. Quit FFox. Open FFox, see if it adopts the position it was in upon quitting. Whilst I'm not using FF 3, I've found that the FF2 'remembers' the last window setting used.

The only preference that might deal with what you're asking could be in Prefs > General > Startup > When Firefox starts > choose Show my Windows & Tabs from last time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
soundshaper,

hughvane is correct. I'm using FF3 and just closed it to check it out. Resize FF3 to the size you want it to be, then close it down. When you re-open it, that's the size it will open to.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
if you have more than one FF window open, make sure the last one you close is set to the size you want it.

Reaction score
Same problem...

I'm getting the same problem; I closed Firefox when maximised and now every time I start Firefox it always starts filling the whole screen, very annoying. I've tried deleting the plist file, no difference. I've tried resizing the window before quitting Firefox, no difference. Firefox just wants to always open full screen - how do I stop it?

Am tempted to uninstall and start again but would rather avoid the hassle of having to reload all the add-ons again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WigglyWoo,

Only one way to do it - resize it to the size you want, then close it down. It should open at the same size that you closed it. If it doesn't, you may need to run Onyx or MainMenu and perhaps run maintenance scripts, repair permissions and clear caches, etc. May help if your FF is cranky...

Noel

Reaction score
Forgot about Time Machine

Found the answer - just use Time Machine to reinstate an older version of Library/Application Support/Firefox folder.....

This contains all your prefs (rather than the usual plist) and is the easiest way to wind back the clock. I keep forgetting about the usefulness of Time Machine :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WigglyWoo,

If TM fixed the problem, that tells me you made some changes along the way that changed the way FF3 acted and TM recorded how it worked before those changes...

In any case, I'm glad you got it fixed. All's well that ends well.

Noel

OP
soundshaper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone. I'll have to try the TM trick when I get back into my studio (traveling right now). I did, of course, try resizing before closing on many occasions but that didn't work. But even if the TM trick works, is there another way? I mean, do we know what's causing it?

PS - It's not THAT annoying, really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soundshaper,

Could be any number of maintenance glitches that occur with Macs. If you keep your machine "tuned up" with Onyx or MainMenu, that shouldn't happened... I don't know how much maintenance contributes to the solution, but mine has been purring along for 6 months, and FF3 still opens the way I close it...

Noel

OP
soundshaper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never used Onyx, but I make sure to run Ice Clean occasionally to clean things up. My system is very very healthy, and less than two months old. Like I said, not a big deal. But I would love to know exactly what causes this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soundshaper,

If you're that concerned, you could do iterative checks using TM (open TM at one point, then again at another close point, check FF3's action at each point and find out where it changed its way of opening) and see if you can isolate what you did between successive intervals. Lots of work and could be confusing, but it could give you a lead...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.