emac display flicker etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.5 15
Hi, I have an emac g4 that has a number of problems, It is a 1.25gz. Sometimes it will boot to a blue, blank screen, on holding down the alt key I see the boot drive and I can start up (10.4os) but will go to the blue screen again. When it does start up properly, which it does for no apparent reason, there are little dash shaped spots on the screen and a flashing horizontal flicker. I ran fsck and disk utility and installed a fresh version of 10.4 to no avail. I do not have the original disks so cannot run hardware test. The computer falls under the Apple emac screen repair but they will not accept it because it is out of the three year time limit, very frustrating and unfair. I read about an IVAD cable that can be replaced to repair the problem but am not sure if it is relevant to this problem. I would be very grateful for any ideas, thanking you in advance,
Connor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Many of the problems you describe are associated with the capacitor problem eMac 1.25GHz experienced. Disconnect from the power, open the inspection hatch and see if any of the capacitors are bulging and/or leaking.

Hope that is not it as the warranty repair expired when the unit was three years old, or in most cases July 2007. Here is a link:-

http://www.apple.com/support/emac/repairextensionprogram/

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.5 15
Thanks for that Harry, I will have a look at the capacitors tomorrow, if this is the problem do you know of a fix? I will probably have the wherewithal and the tools to fix it if I can get ahold of a guide. Is there something I can find online? Thanks again,
Connor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look first. Did post a link will look it up for you if necessary. Here is the link describing this probelm of slickering etc:-

http://emacproblems.blogspot.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.