How to test used iBook?

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used 12" G4 ibook and wondering if anyone can offer some advice about what to look for/test when I'm actually at the person's house examining the laptop. I'm good with computers, but there are people here that are much, much better.

Just trying to arm myself with some info so I can make a good choice that I won't regret a month later. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Run Disk Utility's Verify Disk and check the SMART status and general condition of the iBook, particularly hinges, screen, keys firmly on keyboard and all intact and connect it to the net if possible.

If the seller has original system disks, which you should insist on, run Apple Hardware Test and this checks out logic board, memory, modem, mobility graphics card etc.

If no AHT download v 1.2.4 for iBook from this link before you go, drag .dmg file to left hand column of Disk Utility and burn a bootable copy.

http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks harry. Several things there I would not have known to check/download. Appreciate the feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.