Bootcamp killed my iMac!!

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here, and I have a pretty big problem.

I bought a 20" iMac about 2 months ago and i love it. The only problem was that I spend quite a lot of my time on MSN and obviously Mac MSN is... well, rubbish. Also, i use other PC software... but anyway...

I heard about the software called Boot Camp and thought i'd give it a try (so i didnt have to have my Mac and my laptop running at the same time). So i got a Windows XP home edition disc and opened up Boot Camp, did all the partition, and installed Windows, and it was pretty easy, as i expected from Apple software.

So when it said that the installation had complete and that it was restarting, i thought it had complete. When it started up again, it went back to the setup screen, asking where i want to install windows... so i was like, WHAT!?

So then i quit that, and the Mac restarted again... and then went straight back to the start of the setup :eek:

After fiddling around for some time, i couldnt even get into Mac, let alone start up or get into the Windows setup.

Basically, i want to know these things:

1. Is there an easy and simple way of resetting my iMac to the original factory settings (no partitions, no windows, no nothing)??

2. If not... I can take it to the Apple store nearby, and they'll do it for me, right?

3. Have i COMPLETELY screwed up my iMac? (obviously I'm still under warranty, so it wont matter... i just wanna know)

4. Lastly, should my iMac have come with a software restore CD?? (...because mine didn't)

I'm only 17 so this £900 iMac took me a while to save up for, so I wasnt tooooo pleased when this happened. :(

Thanks for taking the time to read my essay :D
I need replies FAST!

:Oops:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Windows is this? You said Home but does it contain SP2? Is it an OEM or Full version?

What happens if you hold down the Option key right after the Startup Sound? Do you get a choices menu? If so, select OSX.

OP
I
Reaction score
Its a full copy of XP, its the actual disc too, its not illegal. and yes it has SP2.

I have tried holding down the Option key on start up... all it does it come up with a white screen, with a flashing filder icon with a '?' in it...

any ideas? or shall i just take it to the Apple store tomorrow?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It sounds like somehow everything is gone. You do have the OSX DVD that came with your iMac correct? If so, put it in the drive and hold down C. When you get to the installer screen run Disk Utility from the Tools drop down and see what is going on with the Hard Drive. Let us know what you see.

OP
I
Reaction score
The only discs i got with the iMac is OSX install discs 1 and 2

are they the ones?? :S

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
#1 is the DVD you want. When you do an install it will ask for the 2nd one later.

OP
I
Reaction score
i have done that before...

this is what happened:

i started it up with the disc in, held down C. It started the install with connecting the mighty mouse, then asked for language... but then it asked me the destination of where i wanted to install it... but there was nothing to click on :S so i couldnt get any further

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
you have to click "utilities" or "tools" (i'm not quite sure) on the top menu bar that pops up, and then "disc utility" . and see what is there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have done that before...

this is what happened:

i started it up with the disc in, held down C. It started the install with connecting the mighty mouse, then asked for language... but then it asked me the destination of where i wanted to install it... but there was nothing to click on :S so i couldnt get any further

:(

Don't select destination. Look at the bar up top and click on Tools and Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.