delete entire iphoto library

Reaction score
I don't really like iphoto that much and the photos have been taking up too much space (I have duplicates in my computer)... how do I delete all the photos in my iphoto library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Just drag the entire library to the trash. If you open iPhoto down the road, it will create a new, empty library. Be sure to empty the trash when you have finished.

Can you tell us why you don't like iPhoto? It is a great program for organizing and viewing your photos. Maybe you don't like it because you are not using it correctly??

Reaction score
i've run into problems with it personally because it hides my files from me

Is there some magic way in Iphoto to access your photos in their actual physical locations on the disk? I've never been able to navigate thru my photos without using iphoto, which i think is pretty dumb. If I want to photoshop something I have to copy it and paste it somewhere to work on it?

maybe there's a bunch of stuff about iphoto i'm missing - any help is appriciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
All your iPhoto images are stored in your home directory under Pictures/iPhoto Library .. It's simply a directory.

You'll find the originals in a sub directory called 'Originals' and the modified ones under 'Modified', from there they're in directories sorted by date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If you want to use photoshop, just set it as your external editor in the iPhoto preferences. Then when you choose a photo and click to edit, PS will open, you can edit and the photo will be saved right back where it ought to be.

iPhoto organizes its files so that the program can work. Users are not meant to muck about in the finder. Corruption and loss of photos will ensue. iPhoto is brilliant about what it does -- it is an organizational and viewing tool. Does its job wonderfully. There is never a need to go into the library in finder. You will have a much better experience is you will simply forget that that file is there and do anything to/with your photos from the app itself. It really is a great program -- simple to use, and once you get the hang of it, could not be more versatile!

Give it another try, forget about the file in finder and see what happens. It truly is brilliant for what it does and is meant to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
All your iPhoto images are stored in your home directory under Pictures/iPhoto Library .. It's simply a directory.
Although, after iPhoto 08, the folder merely opens up iPhoto when double clicked. To access the insides, right-click, and select "Show Package Contents".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.