A couple of questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.1GHz 120GB
Hello all, I have switched from Windows PC to a nice new shiny macbook. So far I like it, no real problems. I have been searching forums for some answers, but havent found any yet so am posting my first post here.

1.My first question is how do I stop a pop up box appearing when I am not connected to the net. It says "communication device cannot connect". It also does this after I have just connected to the net. I am still on dial-up (Yup,you read correctly), no broadband in my area !

2. When I disconnect my connection, it automatically tries to connect again. I use the same line as our company fax machine so like to keep it free during the day. The only thing I can do is pull out the USB modem, then I get the message as in question 1.

3. Am i right to drag the .dmg files into my applications folder, they cant be deleted ?

4. Is there a book anyone would recomend about macbooks and OS X for someone like myself.

I did have another question, but forgot it. So far I am liking my new (since June)machine, no crashes like my old piece of c$@p. Oh yeah, I read on a forum somewhere about an update for something about the keyboard. Its when I first start to type it drops the first letter pressed. I cant find the post again and not sure where to find the update.

Anyhoo, I know it seems a lot, but any help would be great. I dont want to go back to windows ever again.....ever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the Forums. Not a Macbook user so leave some questions for someone else.

3. Double click the .dmg file on the desktop and it will open, make sure you have downloaded a free program called Stuffit Expander. Drag the application icon to the Applications folder. Dragging the .dmg file does not install the program.

4. Mac OS X Leopard Edition - The Missing Manual by David Pogue. Check out Amazon as they quite often have excellent second hand copies for sale.

For Software Updates hit the little Apple in the menu bar and select Software Update. If it requires it this will download.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.1GHz 120GB
Thanks for the quick reply Harry. Can I delete the .dmg file though ?

Anyone know about question 1 & 2 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Yeah once you're done just drag the .dmg to the trash and eject it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hello all, I have switched from Windows PC to a nice new shiny macbook. So far I like it, no real problems. I have been searching forums for some answers, but havent found any yet so am posting my first post here.

1.My first question is how do I stop a pop up box appearing when I am not connected to the net. It says "communication device cannot connect". It also does this after I have just connected to the net. I am still on dial-up (Yup,you read correctly), no broadband in my area !

2. When I disconnect my connection, it automatically tries to connect again. I use the same line as our company fax machine so like to keep it free during the day. The only thing I can do is pull out the USB modem, then I get the message as in question 1.

3. Am i right to drag the .dmg files into my applications folder, they cant be deleted ?

4. Is there a book anyone would recomend about macbooks and OS X for someone like myself.

I did have another question, but forgot it. So far I am liking my new (since June)machine, no crashes like my old piece of c$@p. Oh yeah, I read on a forum somewhere about an update for something about the keyboard. Its when I first start to type it drops the first letter pressed. I cant find the post again and not sure where to find the update.

Anyhoo, I know it seems a lot, but any help would be great. I dont want to go back to windows ever again.....ever

Wowza! 56K FTL :( But yeah, sorry I can't help you out :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.1GHz 120GB
Thanks for the replies so far, I will be looking up amazon tonight for the book. Does anyone know anything about my first two questions please ?

Reaction score
In system preferences, take a look at network - set up a different profile with everything is disabled to switch to when you're not using the net. That should solve 1 & 2.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.1GHz 120GB
Thanks Mark, I will give that a try..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.