getting a hard case for mac book

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz, 4gb, 250 gb Penryn 15.4 " MBP
i have been looking around at Macbook hardcases and i was wondering which is better The Incase or Speck one cause those seem to be the leading ones. Also if there are any i don't know about please let me know. Also are the ebay cases any good ??? thats probably my most important question.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why do you need a hardcase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2 GHZ, Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 80GB Internal HD, 500GB External
I baught a 'Speck Products' red case about 2 month ago and i have to say its great, fits perfect.

Ive had a few Macbook cases and this has to be by far the best one i've had, it had access to all the ports etc..

Go for the Speck one.

Michael
xx

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz, 4gb, 250 gb Penryn 15.4 " MBP
to protect my investment ??

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
to protect my investment ??

I generally don't like the hardcases. It makes it look bulky and ugly. That's just me though. Plus it doesn't exactly do anything besides keep it from getting scratched or maybe dented. Doesn't do a thing if you drop it, so I wouldn't buy a hardcase.

I recommend this product, you can find it for cheaper on Amazon but they are having a sale so it kind of evens out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
I have the Incase one and I like it. But it does look like the Spec has a bit more venting. They are basically the same...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
I have the Speck shell and it's great. My friend has the Incase shell and it's maybe a little less than 1mm thicker than the Speck shell. The only thing the shells really do is protect from scratches, so I would go with the Speck. 2mm of height difference isn't much, but you never know when you'll need it. I have a carrying case and if I had the Incase cover, my MBP would be just a hair too wide to fit in it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I generally don't like the hardcases. It makes it look bulky and ugly. That's just me though. Plus it doesn't exactly do anything besides keep it from getting scratched or maybe dented. Doesn't do a thing if you drop it, so I wouldn't buy a hardcase.

I recommend this product, you can find it for cheaper on Amazon but they are having a sale so it kind of evens out.

I agree I bought one and stopped using it.Plus I noticed it made my Macbook much hotter.

Reaction score
i just got the zagg cover, its a BEAR to get on and line up right, i should have bought 2 sets, i need to order a new one, i sorta gave up and threw it out after 3 hours of only being able to line up the battery cover part.

Reaction score
i just got the zagg cover, its a BEAR to get on and line up right, i should have bought 2 sets, i need to order a new one, i sorta gave up and threw it out after 3 hours of only being able to line up the battery cover part.

I was watching videos on how to install the shield, and they say with enough liquid on the plastic you can move it around and into place as much as you need to.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was watching videos on how to install the shield, and they say with enough liquid on the plastic you can move it around and into place as much as you need to.

Yes using water is needed. Your hands have to be somewhat wet as well. Clean surface helps. I had to have towels placed over the keyboard and around the vents and stuff. I got it on in one try, took almost half an hour to get everything perfect with very little air pockets/bubbles. They seem to disappear on their own though.

Reaction score
Yes using water is needed. Your hands have to be somewhat wet as well. Clean surface helps. I had to have towels placed over the keyboard and around the vents and stuff. I got it on in one try, took almost half an hour to get everything perfect with very little air pockets/bubbles. They seem to disappear on their own though.

How do you like the shield? Does it drastically change the way your Mac looks?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you like the shield? Does it drastically change the way your Mac looks?

You can barely tell it's there it's practically invisible. It has a nice texture that makes it easier to grip as well. I'd say it's worth every penny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I've got a clear speck case I'll sell you if you're interested. I used it for about 2 months on my Black MacBook and then bought an Invisible Shield instead.

PM if interested and make me an offer.

Reaction score
i had this on my iphone and it was a Pain in the BEAR aswell. no idea why the b word is a cuss, friggin warnings. im going to order another one and try again or find someone to do it for me. anyone in ct that has steady hands and penitence and has installed this before? ill pay...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I've put a skin on my MacBook, MacBook Air and iPhone.....all of which turned out perfect.

The secret is to put a little more than a "drop" of dish detergent in the water, and then dunk the entire skin in the solution before applying it. Once you've got it positioned (the extra detergent makes it slide around easier), start to squeegee out the water and the skin will begin to stick. Once you've got part of it sticking, the rest is easier to manage.

My iPhone skin was the hardest to apply because of all the corners and such. If pieces refuse to stick, just let things dry a little bit and they will eventually begin to stick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.