MBP doesn`t recognise the external monitor

Reaction score
Hi,

I`ve got a problem with my MBP. I use DVI-VGA connector. At the moment of connecting my laptop to the external screen, it seems like the MBP doesn`t see the monitor. MBP blinks once and nothing happens next. When I reboot a MPG and the monitor is already connected, it does recognise it immediately. Any ideas what`s wrong with the MBP? Is it a problem with either MBP or DVI or the monitor?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you running on battery or from the AC mains? MacBook and MacBook Pro will not show an external display when operating on battery.

If you're on AC and the MBP does not "see" the external when you hook it to the DVI port, it could be you haven't selected "detect displays" from System Preferences, Displays. Try that before rebooting.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Do you have the connector connected to your laptop first, or two the VGA cable of the monitor first? If you're connecting it to the laptop first, then yes it will not see the monitor (it's not there) try connecting it to the monitor cable first, then plugging it into the laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.