Permissions and Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
I am trying to limit access to certain folders on my computer and simply can't anymore. I'm in 10.5.1

I select a folder, show info, and in Sharing & Permissions, I put "everyone"'s Privilege setting to "No Access", but you can still see all the contents, copy, etc, as if it were a regular folder. I'm not talking about over a network, I just want certain folders locked from other users in my home. And within my same "user", not from another user log-in.

Here's what I see:

(unknown) - "Read & Write", "Read only" or "Write only (Drop Box)"
everyone - "Read & Write", "Read only", "Write only (Drop Box)" or "No Access"

Even when I select the "Locked" square it doesn't lock it.

PLEASE HELP!!! THANKS!!!!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
is there no one who can help? is there anyone on this forum??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Are you logging in as you when you see these items or as someone else?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as me. I want to be able to lock it so the contents of the folder can't be seen or changed without unlocking it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
you can right click on a folder and check the box where it says lock. This means the contents of the folder can not be changed unless you unlock in the same way.

This is under 10.4 but it should be a similar process with 10.5

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks shahvikram123,

this doesn't work in Leopard, that's my problem. you can change to no access, check the "locked" option as you've said, but all contents remain accessible for viewing. when in no access mode, you can't copy or move the folder, or copy to it, but you CAN view everything in it, copy files from it, etc. I'm guessing this is a Leopard glitch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
this doesn't work in Leopard, that's my problem. you can change to no access, check the "locked" option as you've said, but all contents remain accessible for viewing. when in no access mode, you can't copy or move the folder, or copy to it, but you CAN view everything in it, copy files from it, etc. I'm guessing this is a Leopard glitch?

Must be a bug in Leopard then, I don't have Leopard so I can't comment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD
Locking it will only make it so people cannot read or write to it , to protect things from people seeing them the best way it to make an encrypted DMG and password protect it you can do this with disk utility :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks sonypsp0009,

however, locking it WON'T "make it so people cannot read or write to it". people can read it just fine. and I tried the encrypted DMG (which seems too complicated, I have to mount it every time I want the files). I made a password and everything (it said it COULDN'T BE RETRIEVED if I lost it). but when I mount it - it doesn't ask for a password, AND I can read and write all files on it. (????????)

anyway, seems like this shouldn't be difficult. or maybe I have no idea what I am doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Why not save the folders in your home folder and then create new accounts for other people using your computer and not give anyone access to your account?

BTW, it is probably a good idea to upgrade to 10.5.4 which is the newest version of Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.