• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ebay Obsession

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Don't you just hate it? I've had things listed, on a 3 day listing ending in 6 and a half hours time... and I'm scared to leave the house! Too obsessed. I've just been glued to it. It's a good job it'll be over soon and my life can return to normal.

Anyone else have this problem or is it just weird old me?

Reaction score
Yes. I can't stop using ebay. I wonder of they put nicotine it somehow. OOOOH the deals!!!!! Oh just one more ting oh its 1 am oh my god my house is burning down, but let me just buy this cable it costs only 10 cent s plus shipping and this thing and that !!!!! ahhhhhhhh!!!

I put parental control on my computer and made it block ebay, but I still unblock it sometimes...

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just soooo excited about my auctions ending! I'm so terrible for ebay though, you're right about the house burning down! It's just such a bargain! And it's usually plop I really don't need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There's a song that just says exactly you and I feel about ebay.

It's called Ebay and it's by Weird Al Yankovic.

And yeah I always have to be there when auctions I'm bidding on end. It's just something I have to do. Addicted to this world wide garage sale? Maybe a little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Whilst not obsessed with or addicted to online auctions, I really do enjoy using them. If buying, I've found the Auto-bid to be a useful tool. Decide what you're willing to spend and leave it at that. If you're outbid, so be it, there'll be another XXXX along sometime soon.

If selling, I just let it run. If someone really wants it, they'll pay the reserve - and more. I once sold a vintage VeloSolex m'cycle for 8 times the reserve price. The final two bidders weren't about to let the other have it, until one finally cracked (or his Significant Other did :D). Another buyer paid half as much again for shipping, as for the item itself, he so desperately wanted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As hughvane says don't worry about it. Anyone who has a question concerning your item will have already asked it and the big players only come out in the final two or three minutes.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm £360 better off, all went pretty well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I am obsessed with my auctions... when I am out of the house I am constantly on my iphone refreshing to check my listings. Plus I spend at least a few hours every night browsing for what ever it is I am looking for, I will the best deals I have ever found have always been on ebay.

Reaction score
im so obsessed that i have a ebay widget, and i own a ebay business. i sell items for people at a small fee. i make/sell about $3000 a week in items. working on listing a 68 mustang convertible, and a 06 kawasaki 636. also possibly a 10k$ painting. it seems i spend my cut faster than i get it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
im so obsessed that i have a ebay widget, and i own a ebay business. i sell items for people at a small fee. i make/sell about $3000 a week in items. working on listing a 68 mustang convertible, and a 06 kawasaki 636. also possibly a 10k$ painting. it seems i spend my cut faster than i get it :)

Are you a Powerseller?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC BOOK 13in
i do that all the time it fun

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I used to be all ebay crazy, and now my new job implements it so much its not as amazing for me. We sell a good amount on there prolly at least 150-200 active new each week. we are pretty close to 9000 feedback :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I will say about ebay that I don't like,Is ebays recent policy changes, They have become very pro buyer.This is good in a lot of ways but they have also thrown sellers to the lions.The new feedback policies are ridiculous.just recently they are going to put a cap on shipping charges.If you get in a dispute with a buyer good luck in most cases the buyer will always. I just recently got burned for a $750 for a iphone 3G,Ebay and paypal were no help for me.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dunno about that, I've been screwed over as a buyer many times, and ebay and paypal have been totally useless - in one case I was sold an out of date food product that had had the dates changed and made me really ill, in another I was sold a corset which arrived dirty with all the bones poking though the fabric. Ebay did nothing and Paypal said I didn't have grounds for a dispute or ruled in favour of the seller every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It goes both ways... but as a buyer so long as you use a credit card you can always file a charge back. As a seller I can't leave negative feedback. since this new policy has taken effect I have had more non paying bidders than ever before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I canceled both my eBay and PayPal accounts a few months ago. They're both nothing but a legalized criminal organization as far as I'm concerned.

PayPal hides behind their "policies" to protect themselves, and not their customers as they so prominently proclaim and eBay "disputes" are a complete and utter farce!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I canceled both my eBay and PayPal accounts a few months ago. They're both nothing but a legalized criminal organization as far as I'm concerned

interesting. never thought of them like that before. I rarely use either one. I hate auctions... when I want to buy something, I don't want to compete with thousands of people for it, I just want to buy it. I see no useful point or purpose for me personally in auctions.

tell me the price. period. If I want it I will buy it, or I wont.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I canceled both my eBay and PayPal accounts a few months ago. They're both nothing but a legalized criminal organization as far as I'm concerned.

PayPal hides behind their "policies" to protect themselves, and not their customers as they so prominently proclaim and eBay "disputes" are a complete and utter farce!

This is 100% true.Paypal and ebay customer service is terrible the worst I have ever dealt with... The paypal policies are joke. Not too mention the Fees If I sell an iphone for $400 it cost about $20 on ebay and another $20-$25 on paypal... that is insane. I pass the cost onto the customer.

People are leaving ebay all together there are sellers over the past year that were with ebay for years that packed up and left. Thats why they are so focused on buyers that is really all they have to hold onto.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.