Help with crashing imac

Reaction score
I've got a 17" imac intel - about two years old. It has recently starting crashing frequently. The machine originally came with os 9 but I upgraded to os x. I want to wipe the hard drive - thinking that will help - but I have a problem/question.

When I upgraded to os x I did so off my friends family account license. I do not own os x. I do however own three macbooks that all originally came with os x. Can I reboot my imac with one of my macbook start-up discs???

Never tried this before and think it needs to be done but I am open to suggestions.

BTW - I have a time capsule and already have a complete back up of my imac data.

Any thoughts????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Firstly check with Apple Docs for the latest firmware update for your iMac, as you did not supply model details. Then go out and purchase OS X as the discs that came with any other computer will not boot the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Your info doesn't add up.

No Intel Mac came with OS 9. They stopped shipping OS 9 on any machine in 2002.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.