• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

POLL: Your Cellphone Provider/ How Much $$ U Pay/ Happiness Scale?

Reaction score
Ok so ill start

im with verizon, i pay about 60 bucks a month for 700 minutes peak allowance minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, NO text messaging (sucks!) and i have a rather infelicitous Razr phone. Happiness factor: -10

i CANNOT wait to get out of my contract im thinking of just paying the termination fee i really want an Iphone.... and that means i hav to switch to AT&T...but then again im not so sure at&t is a good provider?

can u guys provide some info about ur own cellphone provider,etc.? thanks

Reaction score
can u guys provide some info about ur own cellphone provider,etc.? thanks

Verizon and AT&T are really the only two companies to consider at this point in time. Everyone has their personal favorite, but in terms of coverage area and latest technology, these two are ahead of the rest.

I personally have an iPhone 3G on the AT&T network and am very happy with my setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I have AT&T with a Blackberry Plan. Love it! I have been with AT&T for over 9 years now though, might be a little biased.

Reaction score
I've had AT&T and hate it. Maybe it's my area, but the signal will quit out randomly and it's very difficult to have a conversation between two AT&T cell phones. I've experienced this on various cell phones, some being bargain bin ones and a couple of high-tech nokias.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
There is also T Mobile >_>"? And you could always "unlock" the iphone to work with other carriers besides AT&T.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Verizon plan for my wife and I. I pay about $65/month for 2 phones, with a shared 400 minute pool - no texting or other special features (like TV or Internet). The service has been nothing short of excellent in all aspects. My only gripe is that my former RAZR v3m was locked down and had a terrible Verizon UI. After some hacking, it was more usable, but still relatively crippled. i just bought 2 Moto W755s on my "new every 2" program, and these phones are a vast improvement. I can iSync them, do Bluetooth transfers, and easily access the filesystem - the UI is greatly improved as well. So at the moment, I couldn't be happier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
There is also T Mobile >_>"? And you could always "unlock" the iphone to work with other carriers besides AT&T.

Everyone hates on T-Mobile. I've gotten used to it.

I have T-Mobile, I pay $40 a month for 300 anytime minutes and unlimited calling to 5 people with unlimited night and weekends, $15 for unlimited texting, and $20 for unlimited web and email on my BlackBerry.

Altogether I pay $85 a month, and my happiness is a 9/10. I get service everywhere but the deepest of boonies, the price isn't bad at all, and the customer support is amazing to me.

Reaction score
Gee I feel like the odd man out: I have a Palm Centro with Sprint. I only have 300 daytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends (starting at 6pm), 200 text message and unlimited internet, etc. Satisfaction hmmmm I would say about a 6 or 7. I don't use all daytime minutes, don't use all my text message, and only pay (with tax) $54.00 a month. Reception is very good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I am also on Tmobile and love it ,customer service is the best 9/10 very easy to get a person on the phone when you call customer care.
2000 minutes/400TXT/unlimited BB add-on for $120.00 with taxes included.
I use my iphone 3G although Tmobile uses Edge only ,I can live without 3G.

all in all I would rate Tmobile one of the better carriers I have had and see no reason to switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This isn't a poll....

I have an iPhone 3G on AT&T. I've generally had no problem with service, but I'm having some issues in my new apartment. I'm fairly certain it has to do with the materials the building is made of, because as soon as I walk outside, I get full service. Other than that, I got great coverage in both the east and west coasts.

Reaction score
i am currently with att and its ok even though they tried charging me $500 for a month a few months ago. something about they messed up my plan, so i threatened to leave, i have been a loyal customer for 5 years, they quickly fixed it. i would rank them about a 6, still not great but ok, local reps are very helpful, and they listen and go above and beyond for there customers. all there other services are blotchy.

i have had every other us based carrier and have had from ok luck to the worst.

verizion ranked a 5, had problems with phones and service areas.

sprint/nextel ranked a 3, push to talk pretty nifty but service sucked.

t-mobile ranked a 4, had them for a year and canceled, there customer service is horrible and there service in my area is equally as bad.

boost mobile ranked a 2, nextel but way worse.

and there were a few others in and around there but i probally left for the same reasons above.

Reaction score
The only good thing about AT&T is that if you go over your minutes/texting, they will fix it if you give them a call. I have done this three times and have said about $300.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I think it is fair to say,The service is going to vary based on location and circumstance... i.e. Kash having bad service in his apartment. I had the same issue with Sprint. Where you live plays a big role on your experience with your provider,So far everyone on here has said good and bad things about every major provider. for the most part wireless providers rank very low for customer service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I have an iPhone 3g with AT&T ( i bought/pay for this) got a plan with my roomate to save a little money, we split 700 minutes/unlimited text+data/nights start at 7

I also have cell phone with verizon (parents cell phone plan, and my dad works for lockheed so this costs like dollars a month for my part which is covered since its mainly for talking to my parents/family) not many minutes less than 300 for my part/no text no data

My family has gone through/seen many cell phones as my dad travels alot, and verizon by far gets the best reception, from our experience. Even sitting here right now it looks like my verizon is up a little bit.

Ive only had my iPhone for a week or so but I havent had any problems at all. So im not saying AT&T's reception is terrible.

**EDIT**
Sorry our total AT&T bill is 140-150ish for both of us, that includes our discount we get too i think. will see, my roomie works at publix and that apparently gets us a 14% discount off our monthly bill. Really check into if you can get a discount from where you work on your plan.
**EDIT**

Reaction score
I'm with verizon (reason, unfortunately, for not going over to the iPhone) and I'm on a family plan. There are 3 phones on it (me, my dad, my mom) and my mom and father hardly use their phones (my dad has a separate business phone with Sprint). I think the bill is normally around $132 a month.. assuming I don't buy ringtones although I'm perfectlly aware they can be free! I'm just lazy.

I have unlimited texting and some other small features but nothing that should add too much money. Reception overall is good. Few shutoffs when my texts and my friends texts wouldn't send. The phones are decent.. might get a blackberry if I continue to stay with Verizon.

To be honest, only decency I see in TMobile is the sidekick appeal (not to me, but others). The only thing that appeals to me with AT&T is the iPhone. Verizon is fitting for me because the phones are not that bad for the sake of texting/calling/taking ok pictures. I have myself a MacBook and iPod Touch so (no matter how unfortunate) the iPhone isn't a necessity but a desire.

Happiness scale: 8!

Reaction score
I think it is fair to say,The service is going to vary based on location and circumstance... i.e. Kash having bad service in his apartment. I had the same issue with Sprint. Where you live plays a big role on your experience with your provider,So far everyone on here has said good and bad things about every major provider. for the most part wireless providers rank very low for customer service.

Completely agree. Where I live t-mobile is horrible, but for my sister who lives in WA it's awesome. Anyways, I have AT&T and pay about $39.99/month. Had an 1st gen iPhone, but noticed I didn't use the features as much as I liked. Have a regular phone now and although I do miss having some of the iPhone features, I mainly need a phone to make phone calls. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
everyone i know with a sidekick, its cool for like a couple months and then it starts to suck and fall apart.

they just start to look nasty and bad really quickly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mbp
i have the lg env with verizon. i pay about 80 dollars a month for 450 whenever mins/unlimited texting.
i've never really had any problems with the service until recently..i've had a lot of dropped calls and my battery doesnt hold a charge like it used to. i've dropped my phone quite a bit so i think it's more of a equipment issue rather than network.
my contract is up in december and i'm not sure if i want to stick with verizon or give attnt a try.
the iphone is very tempting..especially since they've lowered the price. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
i have the lg env with verizon. i pay about 80 dollars a month for 450 whenever mins/unlimited texting.
i've never really had any problems with the service until recently..i've had a lot of dropped calls and my battery doesnt hold a charge like it used to. i've dropped my phone quite a bit so i think it's more of a equipment issue rather than network.
my contract is up in december and i'm not sure if i want to stick with verizon or give attnt a try.
the iphone is very tempting..especially since they've lowered the price. :eek:

My girlfriend had an env. That phone was a total piece of garbage. Never held a charge, poor reception, and it dropped calls with full bars.

Not a fan of LG after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
iPhone + o2 + 600 minutes + 500 texts = £35/month

GPRS coverage is pretty good perhaps 9/10

EDGE coverage is not quite so good, maybe 5/10

Overall happiness rating = 9/10

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.