• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I get iMovie '08 to work again?

Reaction score
I got a macbook last September and was annoyed with iMovie '08, so I downloaded iMovie HD as I have worked with it before and enjoy its timeline, effects, etc.
Now, I'm trying to import video footage onto my mac from a Panasonic HDC-SD9 camera. iMovie HD shows no recognition of the camera, so I did some research and found that iMovie '08 should be able to import the footage. The problem is, iMovie '08 won't open for me. I haven't touched it since I got my mac nearly a year ago, and now it won't open at all. It says, "You cannot use this version of the application iMovie '08 with this version of Mac OS." which makes no sense, because I upgraded to Leopard. I downloaded an update for it and it won't work either. Why isn't it opening?

EDIT: I see there's a forum for moviemakers, so I'm going to post this topic there. You can go ahead and delete this one.

OP
ForrestL
Reaction score
I got a macbook last September and was annoyed with iMovie '08, so I downloaded iMovie HD as I have worked with it before and enjoy its timeline, effects, etc.
Now, I'm trying to import video footage onto my mac from a Panasonic HDC-SD9 camera. iMovie HD shows no recognition of the camera, so I did some research and found that iMovie '08 should be able to import the footage. The problem is, iMovie '08 won't open for me. I haven't touched it since I got my mac nearly a year ago, and now it won't open at all. It says, "You cannot use this version of the application iMovie '08 with this version of Mac OS." which makes no sense, because I upgraded to Leopard. I downloaded an update for it and it won't work either. Why isn't it opening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
Wow, great question. Are you sure that everything is up to date including Quicktime? and Leopard is up to date as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I am as lost as you are then.

If you haven't done this already try "Repair Disk Permissions", it is under your utilities folder (found in your "Applications" folder) launch "Disk Utility".

Is anything else acting funny?

OP
ForrestL
Reaction score
Thanks dude, I tried that but it didn't work. Everything else is acting fine. It seems to uniquely be iMovie '08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try dragging iMovie HD to the desktop and then try launching 08

OP
ForrestL
Reaction score
That didn't work.

I just opened 08's package contents, found a folder called MacOS, and inside it was a terminal file named iMovie.
I opened it and the little '08 star icon started bouncing as if it were going to open, but then a window popped up saying it had crashed and I could relaunch it, ignore it, or report it, so I tried to relaunch and nothing happened, then I reported it.

Anyway, the listed reason for the crash was this:

2008-08-19 22:06:10.083 iMovie[10328:10b] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Creating more than one Application'

What in the world is that supposed to mean? Creating more than one application? What?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the package contents is the installer for the application.

my guess is that the problem comes from having two iMovie's. Download AppZapper at:
http://www.appzapper.com/
It is a really great program for uninstalling programs, you will get 5 free "Zaps" with it before you have to buy it. My suggestion is to "Zap" your iMovie HD, and try to launch '08. (AppZapper takes the application, along with any stray files and puts them in the trash) so either make sure you know where all the files came from or make sure you have an install for iMovie HD handy in case that doesn't solve the issue. If it solves it at least you have pin pointed the problem, and I guess you will have to get along with 08 until you decide to make the beautiful jump to Final Cut!

OP
ForrestL
Reaction score
All right, I just tried that, and still no dice. Same message as usual. I'd love to make the beautiful jump to Final Cut, it's just a matter of money at present.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm out of ideas. If you bought the computer in September, you should be able to call Apple support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you get it figured out? What was the problem?

OP
ForrestL
Reaction score
I called Apple today, spent 45 minutes on the phone, and they solved it for me! Now I feel pretty stupid though, all I needed to do was re-install it, though it took the operator a while to suggest that. I'm pretty new at using Macs too, but enough apologies, I'm just glad it's working now.

Still don't know why it stopped working in the first place, though...oh well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.