upradeing hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC BOOK 13in
i was looking to upgrade my macbook hard drive and i was wording what one you guy would tell me to buy. like what sata and stuff and what i good hard drive please help me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Pretty much any SATA notebook drive will work, circa 320MB or so these days. Western Digital is good, I suppose Seagate. Mostly what's on sale or on special. Replacement on a Macbook is pretty straightforward. Use your old drive in a USB enclosure so you can either revert back or for backup purposes if the need arises.

Some people will post about RPM's and the like, but really that doesn't matter for most needs.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - I have this one and I can't be more happier with my purchase. This is one just recently came out so it's fairly new.

Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Pretty much the same thing as Seagate but made by Western Digital. A little more expensive too so up to you.

Western Digital Scorpio WD3200BEVT 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - probably the most popular one so far, but it's not as fast as the ones above, but there is a sale on this one so it's really up to you.

There are 500 GB HDDs for notebooks but right now they score worst than 5400 RPM HDDs and they use more power as well so I wouldn't recommend buying them.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC BOOK 13in
well im 13 so yea i filled my 80

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well im 13 so yea i filled my 80

If the 320 GB ones are a little too high for your price range, which the first 2 from my recommended list. You could try the 250 GB ones or the Third one on my list which was like 109 dollars.

If you can ask your dad to help pay for it or ask for his opinion?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC BOOK 13in
but i think i should get a 320gb because i download alot of stuff

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
As long as it's a 2.5" SATA HDD it'll work in your MacBook..

You may wanna pick up a hard drive enclosure as well.. or one of those static-free bags that new computer parts usually come in to store your old drive.

And I assume you wanna keep all your current settings instead of having a new install?

If yes, then follow everything here, if you don't already have a time machine backup.
If not, then just get your OS X install discs ready.

If you picked up a enclosure than put your new drive in it first and connect to your MB

Use Superduper and clone your existing hard drive to your new one.

You can download Superduper and back up and clone your drives for free...

Then you just need to swap out the old drive for your new drive and put your old one in the enclosure where you can do whatever with it.

When you start up your MB with the new drive it's like nothing happened, your apps and settings will be as they were before the swap, you'll just have more space now..

You may also want to run disk utility and repair disk permissions after since it is a new drive and all..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Or you can install OS X on the new drive and use Migration Assistant (in Applications> Utilities) to move your files, settings and Applications over from the old, if you have an enclosure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
Western Digital Scorpio Black is the way to go i got the 320gb one its so fast and the space is nice :D not to expensive and the best laptop hard drive out there it even out performs ssd drives in some speed tests and is only a little behind in others

must get this dive if your planning a hard drive upgrade

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Western Digital Scorpio Black is the way to go i got the 320gb one its so fast and the space is nice :D not to expensive and the best laptop hard drive out there it even out performs ssd drives in some speed tests and is only a little behind in others

must get this dive if your planning a hard drive upgrade

Can you provide link to these benchmarks please? I want to see how it compares to Samsung’s 64 GB SSD SATA-2 and the OCZ 64 GB SATAII SSD, which pretty much trounces every SSD out thus far as well as HDDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.