Lost all bookmarks on firefox, help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
Ok, I probably something really dumb and I don't know how to fix it, but I had so many bookmarks on my firefox that there's no way I could manually get them all back if I can't restore them somehow. :(

I wanted to install FF3, so I did. I noticed that I still have the old FF in the applications folder, so I moved it to the trash. I have AppTrap, so it asked me if I wanted to move all files to the trash, too, and I didn't think and said yes.

When I restarted FF3, all my bookmarks were gone.

I have TimeMachine, and I haven't emptied the trash yet, so I'm hoping there is hope for my bookmarks. I just don't know where to look for them.

I tried to restore FF from TimeMachine, but it gave me FF2 without my bookmarks, so I'm guessing that the BMs were saved somewhere else and that I need to find them to restore. Am I right? Does anyone know in what folder they're usually saved?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

OP
ILoveMyMacbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I fixed it! :D
I'm so happy now. lol

I restored the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox and now my bookmarks are back!

Hurray for TimeMachine! :D

I hope no one does the same mistake I did, hopefully this thread will be of some help. :)

Reaction score
Restoring bookmarks with time machine

I did as everyone suggested. I went into Library, applications support / Firefox / profile and restored from 2 dates to make sure. Now It didn't "import" or restore my super important bookmarks.

I lost my bookmarks because of a stupid error message was saying "You can't open Firefox because a copy is already open" so I went and deleted Firefox.

Anyway. Is the reason Time Machine not working because it's on a exterior hard drive ?

Please help. I'd love to find everything as it was.

Hurray! UPDATE:
I was so furious it wasn't working when it seemed to be working for you. So...
1) I decided to first get rid of all Firefox on my iMac. Including extensions, add-ons, profiles, backups etc....(on both my iMac and my mobile hard drive).
2) I restarted.
3) I entered Time Machine
4) I went as far as I could go (at the risk of lacking a few weeks bookmarks) - we,re April 23, I went 10 days in the past.
5) I restored the application / Firefox to the DESKTOP (otherwise it reassembles from a back up folder)
6) I restored the Library/applications support / Firefox to the DESKTOP
7) I opened Firefox - it didn't work
8) I transfered everything back to its right place The app in the app folder. The Library /Firefox to the Library
9) I opened Firefox and it sent an error message : oups this is embarrassing, we've lost your ...
10) IMP: when it ask you:L start new session or restore, press Restore.
11) Voilà. extreme sighs of relief.

I hope this will help for other people too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.