MacBook Pro to Vizio 42" LCD (RGB input) via DVI-VGA results in "No Signal"

Reaction score
All the info is in the subject. When I plug it in, the MBP screen flashes solid blue and then to regular mode. In the past it does this and then shows up on screen but it hasn't been doing that for the past week. I haven't swapped out my VGA or DVI to VGA cables. Any ideas from anyone with the same TV type and connections know how to fix this?

I am running the current Leopard version.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Make sure you plug the DVI-VGA adapter in while the VGA cable is connected to it. I've run into the same thing when connecting just the DVI adapter and then subsequently connecting the VGA cable to it.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I haven't separated them since it worked last time, or at least not that I can remember. Maybe I should unplug it all and then reconnect everything in this sequence:

1. VGA to DVI-VGA connector
2. VGA into my RGB input on the TV
3. DVI cable into DVI port on MBP

Does it matter when I plug teh attached audio cable?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I haven't separated them since it worked last time, or at least not that I can remember. Maybe I should unplug it all and then reconnect everything in this sequence:

1. VGA to DVI-VGA connector
2. VGA into my RGB input on the TV
3. DVI cable into DVI port on MBP

Does it matter when I plug teh attached audio cable?

OK, sounds like you're using an RGB connector on your TV and not a VGA. I have no experience with doing this, so I can't accurately guide you here.

On my TV, there is a VGA connector. What I do is leave the VGA cable attached to the TV all the time. Then I connect the VGA to the VGA to DVI adapter, then plug the whole thing, already connected, into my MacBook Pro's DVI port. The MacBook pro discovers it automatically and outputs the display. I have had instances where it did not, for whatever reason, but I can usually force it through System Preferences => Displays.

The audio cable should not make a difference either way.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A close friend of mine has a Vizio 42" LCD. It does have a VGA Input. That is how he hooks up his computer to the Vizio and it's always worked great.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Maybe I am phrasing it wrong. It is RGB (a PC input). I have attached photos. This is how I have always connected it to my MBP. Also, I went to System Properties and it sees the TV as a second display but it won't send the signal. I have clicked on every setting and tab in there!!

Its a VW42L - 42" Class LCD Vizio 1080p HDTV
http://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1664&pid=1504

Can anyone please help me? I rip DVDs to my mac and then watch them this way. I am desperate!!

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

picture 5.png

picture 4.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is the right jack on the Vizio. Was just being sure. I wonder if maybe your VGA to DVI adapter is messed up?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Lucky for me, I found the same VGA to DVI adaptor at work in an empty conference room which is odd since its completely a PC environment. No guarantees that it works but I am going to bring it home and try it. I also have a new VGA cable to use as well.

I will report back. Thanks for your help.

OP
Z
Reaction score
For anyone that cares, I changed my VGA cable and that seemed to resolve this issue. Let's see if it happens again with a new cable. If it does it would probably mean that the TV or MBP are damaging these cables somehow.

Reaction score
I'm doing the same (DVI to VGA from macbook pro) and the TV monitor shows my background wallpaper but not anything else! So the computer output is getting through but not the right output. Any ideas? Is this a mac "user" issue?

Reaction score
I'm doing the same (DVI to VGA from macbook pro) and the TV monitor shows my background wallpaper but not anything else! So the computer output is getting through but not the right output. Any ideas? Is this a mac "user" issue?

I imagine that you have the displays set up to extend the desktop rather than "mirror." Check the mirror box in your display preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.