Getting kernal panic when trying to install OS after HDD install

Reaction score
I just replaced the HD in an iBook G3 I have laying around with a toshiba 40gb. The install went fine and I formatted it in disk utility using mac os x extended (journaled). I ran it for errors and it checked out fine. I also ran the apple hardware test CD and everything checked out there too.

The problem is I am getting a kernal panic no matter what I do. I started off installing 10.3 and the first disc installs fine, but then when it restarts it gets an instant kernal panic. I tried 10.4 with the same results. Then I tried the 10.2 discs that the iBook came with and it would get the very last step of the install on the 1st disc and would not go any farther. It said "one minute remaining" for over an hour.

I have taken a picture of the error log that shows up and you can see here:

2zxqkgo.jpg

The top line got cut off but it says "panic(cpu 0): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook4,3"

Like I said, everything checks out hardware wise and i have tried three different versions of OS X. I'm at a loss of what to do so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The unknown factor is the hard drive. I've had hard drives pass all kind of hardware tests and then crap out trying to load the OS. Kernal Panic logs don't always tell the complete story and most of the time are difficult to interpret.

As inexpensive as hard drives are, I would purchase a new one for the G3 and give it a try. If it panics even with a new HD, you can always return the new drive for a refund. Just make sure you purchase the drive at a store that accepts returns.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.