Apache 2

Reaction score
Hi,

I have mac os x installed on a mac mini. It came with Apache 1.3.

I installed Apache2. I used http://www.serverlogistics.com/apache2.php

When i attempt to start apache, i get the following in the access log:

[crit] (14)Bad address: mod_rewrite: Could not set permissions on rewrite_log_lock; check User and Group directives Configuration Failed

I have the user and group directives set correctly in httpd.conf

I have run apache 1.3 for a while, and am fairly good with Apache admin.

I simply cannot get Apache 2 to work on mac os x, version:

Darwin 8.11.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.1: Wed Oct 10 18:23:28 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.25.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

It's driving me nuts :]

I read on a few forums that Apache 2 just doesn't work on some versions of Darwin kernal / mac os x.

Regards, samwootton

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Download and install MAMP it does a fully working Apache and MySQL install for you

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is (and this is going to sound picky), but i've got all my sym links set up, and things where i want them, i already have mysql, tomcat, postfix and cvs, all set up. I don't want, and shouldn't need another 3rd party tool, to install loads of stuff i don't want :]

It should work, and i really want / need to find out why Apache2 cannot be used with mac os x.

Best regards, samwootton

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Apache2 CAN be used with OSX, you just have some sort of config issue I imagine. Using Mamp I have Apache2 running on my machine (at least i think its Apache2 and will verify when i get home)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Has anyone got any ideas? I've been trying for weeks now, and still no luck. I don't understand why i am getting this error, i have tried lots of things, for example, i set:

RewriteLog "/Library/Apache2/logs/rewrite.log"
RewriteLogLevel 0

... and still no luck.

I don't see why Apache2 is not working on mac os x, when i have had apache 1.3 running for years.

Regards, samwootton

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.