Problems w/ memory upgrade

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 17" and I just ordered this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134560
I received it and put it in but my computer will not start up. It just sounds like the disk drive is kind of trying to work
but the screen never turns on.

Right now I have a 1gb memory stick and (2) 2gb sticks. I have tried every
combination of the two in both different slots with the same problem. Although
both new sticks of ram work on there own in either slot. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't think the RAM is faulty if they both work on their own when you put them into a slot.

Sounds more like it might be your board can't handle the RAM?

What model is your 17"?

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think that system has a max of 2 gigs of ram so you would need (2) one gig sticks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I could be wrong but I think that system has a max of 2 gigs of ram so you would need (2) one gig sticks.

Humm I think the OP needs to run the scanner over at crucial to find out for sure how much max ram it can support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.