Starting to get very frustrated!!!

Reaction score
My learning curve seems to have stopped with even the most basic tasks. My latest hangup is opening files from emails, which should be a brainless procedure!

1. Whenever I open an attached file, why am I always asked "what application would you like to use?" Should I use Preview, should I use NeoOffice...I don't know! My PC would simply open the darned file without being told to do so!
2. After I tell it HOW to open it, I then have to click on the file in a separate box in the upper right hand corner to get it to actually open. Why this seemingly unnecessary step?
3. Why does TextEdit keep popping open whenever I attempt to open these documents, even if I have chosen NeoOffice to do so?

Any help would be very appreciated, before I do the unthinkable (become an "unswitcher")!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
1. It depends on the file and what the default application to open it with is. What files are you having a problem with?
2. I've not seen a box in the top right... what does it look like?
3. No idea.

What happens if you click save and open them from the Downloads folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
1. Whenever I open an attached file, why am I always asked "what application would you like to use?" Should I use Preview, should I use NeoOffice...I don't know! My PC would simply open the darned file without being told to do so!

Quite right! However, in what format are the attached files? From what you say my guess is Word (incl .rtf) or PDF.

When you next get a file attachment, drag it to the desktop. Select and Get Info. Choose Open With and then click the Change All button. Hopefully that should take care of opening all files of that specific type thereafter. For a different type of file, you will need to select a different application to open it.

Why does TextEdit keep popping open whenever I attempt to open these documents, even if I have chosen NeoOffice to do so?

TextEdit handles both plain and rich text format, as does MSWord. Maybe NeoOffice cannot open .rtf documents - if that's what the attached documents are using.

For .pdf files, Preview is the default application to open them unless you have Acrobat Reader, which is slower and more memory-intensive. Once again, you can determine what application will open ALL .pdf files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
• click on the icon
• press command I
• choose open with towards the bottom and select your program. Click 'change all'.

Then that particular filetype won't ask you what program to open again.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that is what I needed. I could not find this information in the book I purchased to help with the transition. I will do what you suggested, and see what happens!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.