• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Electric Drums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Hey guys, my little brother is learning to play the guitar, and i wanna join him with some electric drums, but I don't wanna spend too much on a set. I had a try on my older brother's set, and I loved their feel. He plays a Roland TD-3 kit, But I can't really justify $922 (that's the cheapest I can find a set) on them. I'm open to suggestions, lol. Thanks guys (and Gals ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Unfortunately, cheap electric drums are just that...cheap electric drums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Village Idiot couldn't have summed it up better. As a drummer of 7+ years, I can honestly say that if you are going with electric, you really have to dish out the money. If sound control isn't much of an issue, I'd definitely recommend getting some acoustics instead of an electric. Call me old fashion, but nothing can compare to the real deal.
But if you're bent on getting electric for a good price,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-DTXplorer-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=490906

I have a friend who started out on these and they've lasted him quite some time after several years of abuse. Yamaha makes decent acoustic and electric drums, although not my favorite brand I won't deny they make very decent drums.

If you're looking for something lower, I'd say pick up a pair of bongos instead, cause you probably won't be able to find a better priced, good quality electric set than this. Hope this helps!
If you're interested in getting acoustic drums, let me know and I can give you some pointers.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Thank yo all for your input. I took it all into consideration. I decided to go with the same Roland kit (the TD-3SW) that my brother plays. I found a pretty good deal on ebay: 2 sets of sticks, a chain driven double-bass pedal, and a small gig bag - $800. Sweet!

And thanks again for your help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.