itunes music transfer

Reaction score
alright so i know its been done before but i hope you good ppl could just run it down for me one more time. I have all my music on a pc and i just bought my blackbook with office mac 2008 student edition (if that even matters). i also already have an ipod touch with most of my music/videos on it. now the question is, how do i transfer my itunes library to my new blackbook. by the way both computers run on the same wireless network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If most of your stuff is on the ipod touch then Senuti will come to the resque

Its works with windows formatted pods, and lets yiou get the files and playlists off and back in to iTunes on the mac

http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
will it work if i don't have a touch? i have a lot of music on my old pc and a little on my new mac. would that still be the best way to get that pc music to my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz 15" MacBook Pro
i got senuti, but i can't find the settings for disk us

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Senuti will work with any ipod, if you want to use the ipod to transfer music.

On a thing like a nano, a lot of files will take a multitude of transfers, in that case, a network or portable hard drive would be a better option for a very large amount of files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Settings for disk use will be from within iTunes

Reaction score
Do you have a router? If so, it will be easy to network with the Mac and simply transfer the files on the network. I couldn't believe how easy my Itunes transfer went.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06GHz .. 2Gb RAM .. 500Gb HDD .. 512Mb 8800GS .. iMac
Settings for disk use will be from within iTunes

Right, so how do you stop it automatically syncing with your iPod, because then you'd loose all your music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, so how do you stop it automatically syncing with your iPod, because then you'd loose all your music.

can you set up disk mode from the PC end where your pod originated.

Reaction score
I will be facing a similar situation when I change from PC to a new macbook next month. I have all my music backed up via itunes onto a couple of DVD's. Is it therefore possible just to import them back into Itunes on the macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just for info . . .

If you use an iPod Touch the 'disk use' switch in doesn't show in iTunes. But that's OK.

Contrary to the Senuti help docs you don't need to enable disk use for an iPod Touch. Senuti just 'works' without it.

However, if you're networked just transfer that way.

There are several ways to do that (one is linked above but I think that's just mac to mac). There are several ways to skin this particular cat, here's just one:

Share out the music folder on your PC.
Connect to that share on your mac.
Ensure "copy music to library when adding" is ticked in the preferences of itunes.
Then use add to library and point to your windows share.
iTunes will copy over your music and add them to your mac library at the same time.
You can export your playlists as XML and copy/re-import them too if you want to keep them.

edit: oh ....wait.... er wireless network...hmmm. Might be best to stick with using your ipod unless you can cable them temporarily. A wireless transfer (unless your using draftN) will be very slow.

Reaction score
i just got done doing this, how i did it was with 5 dvd's yea 5! filled to thge max and i still left music on my pc.... i used nero and burned all the folders in my itunes on my windows pc to the macs itunes folder. was going to use my flash drive but it would take to long.

Reaction score
Just for info . . .

If you use an iPod Touch the 'disk use' switch in doesn't show in iTunes. But that's OK.

Contrary to the Senuti help docs you don't need to enable disk use for an iPod Touch. Senuti just 'works' without it.

However, if you're networked just transfer that way.

There are several ways to do that (one is linked above but I think that's just mac to mac). There are several ways to skin this particular cat, here's just one:

Share out the music folder on your PC.
Connect to that share on your mac.
Ensure "copy music to library when adding" is ticked in the preferences of itunes.
Then use add to library and point to your windows share.
iTunes will copy over your music and add them to your mac library at the same time.
You can export your playlists as XML and copy/re-import them too if you want to keep them.

edit: oh ....wait.... er wireless network...hmmm. Might be best to stick with using your ipod unless you can cable them temporarily. A wireless transfer (unless your using draftN) will be very slow.

I did mine wirelessly. It was around 20 gig I think. I just went and did something else during the transfer. I don't even know how long it took, but do not recall it being very long. Make sure your itunes library is consolidated on your PC first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.